Help needed on macbook with faulty Logic board, need to grab files off hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by culturedc, Sep 23, 2008.

1. culturedc macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I have had nothing but problems with my Macbook 1st generation, and because I did not get applecare I been paying for it dearly. First, I had a hard drive problem, then my battery stopped working and now I believe my logic board is dead. For about 6 months my screen has been shifting light and dark - not to much to notice but a definite shift. I knew that this probably had something to do with the logic board, but today the computer just completely shut off and will not start. I tried doing the 5 second reset, etc etc. But for now, nothing is working.

I have many files on this computer that I desperately need. Can someone please guide me on how to get these files off the hard drive I have installed on my macbook. I do not have access to another macbook or another apple computer. I only have Window computers available. How can I go about getting the files off the dead macbook (the hard drive is still working) so I can save them onto an external or something.

Please help - this has not been a good week and its only Tuesday :(

2. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

If the thing won't start up at all then the first idea that occurs to me is that with the Macbook can't you easily get to the hard drive?

Isn't it under the battery on the underside, accessible under the battery flap?

If this is true you can take out the hard drive, put in an empty case you can get from any computer shop and connect it to another computer, tho it will probably have to be another Mac.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Buy an empty external USB 2.5" hard drive case. Remove the hard drive from the MacBook and put it into the new case. Borrow a MacBook and plug it in.

4. culturedc thread starter macrumors newbie

So it has to be another macbook or just another mac? Also, once I plug it into a nother mac, I can just dump the content into an external that is hooked up?

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well the file system on a Mac is different from Windows (it's HFS+).

If you plug it into a PC, it will not show up in my computer. However, there is a program called MacDrive, that has a free 15/30 day trial (can't remember), that enables the HFS+ drives to appear in Windows. It might work like that.