HELP - New MBP 15" battery life just took a nose dive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfrass66, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cfrass66 macrumors newbie

Work bought me a brand new MBP 15" about 3 months ago. It's basically used when i'm out in the field or if i need to work remote. So it's not my normal day to day machine

When i first got it i was so impressed with the battery life. I would see like 4 to 5 hours when fully charged which for me was a big plus, commuting over an hour a day via train i could get a lot of work done.

SO to the problem. About a week ago I started noticing the battery life was draining quite fast once disconnected from power. This being my first mac book i started looking around to see if i could find something that would make sense of this depleting battery life. In short I didn't find anything. Power consumption is set up for minimal power draw when disconnected from power (see screen shot below).

I usually have a few programs running for work but ones i wouldn't think would be drawing that much battery life.
    - browser
    - securecrt
    - terminal
    - textedit

Question: before closing the lid (putting it to sleep) on the MBP should i be quitting the programs? Once a sleep does it draw down on the batter?

Additional input that might be relevant is that i have parallels installed (but not running as far as i can see) as well as MS Office 2011

Anyone that can assist would be greatly appreciated. If i can't figure this out i'm going to have to go back to apple with this as my company spent a pretty penny on this and we should be getting more battery life out of this.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Sleep should not draw much power so that's most likely not the issue but running Parallels is a big drain on power that's for sure.

Be sure to try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 and also monitor Activity Viewer for applications that are taking up a lot of processor capacity as the more processor usage the more power consumption.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

a SMC reset can hopefully get your battery time back up

Did yours come with Lion/did you upgrade? If so, a SMC reset is definitely in order.