Help! Noob can't figure out why 2012 MacBook Pro won't connnect to wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rontrembath, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Rontrembath macrumors newbie

I could really use some help. I recently got a MacBook Pro with no real knowledge of the machine itself. One day in the middle of a Skype session with my computer simply would no longer connect to my wifi. I checked my iPhone and all is well, I'm posting this from it right now.

I tried several methods that are probably the most obvious like restarting the Airport, router, and computer. I've also search other forums to see if any methods I might find could help but to no avail. I am not very savvy with Apple products, I am just another noob who heard they are very dependable. But now I am stuck.

I am wondering if my problems might stem from some sort of VPN issue? I am currently stationed at an American Air Force Base in Korea and I have been using a VPN Website called un-block us to be able to watch Netflix and Hulu Plus. I believe I didn't manage to get back to the site to pay for the rest of the year after I paid for a month. But even when I wasn't using a VPN site, I could still use the Internet which I pay for here in Korea. I had an issue with VPN One Click a couple of months ago that led me to find a new source, but I always was able to connect to the wifi. Now I have nothing.

I very desperate for help and have no clue what I am doing. This was my connection to my wife an kids while I am away from them on a remote tour for a year, and now I have lost that. I'm also basically a big dummy when it comes to these things. Please help. Anyone need a good blanket or sports jersey? They have all sorts of great knock off stuff around here? I am willing to trade goods for advice. Please!!!!

2. Rontrembath thread starter macrumors newbie

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Thank you for your service, Rontrembath.

Can you use Skype or Facetime on your iPhone?

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Do you have Skype on your iPhone?

EDIT: B you beat me to it :)

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Is the computer connected to the Wifi, but you have no Internet?

If that were the case, check you browser settings and make sure you do not have a proxy setup for when you were running the VPN.

If your not connecting to the Wifi, I would go into the router, change the password etc and try again.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

My sister-in-law had a similar issue when we were all at a family gathering. It drove me nuts in that she had the network/password correct, but her 13" MBP refused to connect for some reason. I ended up having to delete any and all references to the network. It took a number of attempts, but it finally got to the point where it "discovered" the network again, and treated it like a brand new connection/setup. To this day, it still does not make any sense, because she had used that network many times prior.

I almost forgot - Thanks for your service.

7. Rontrembath thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you south for the replys. Like I said, I am very new to this. How do I reset a password in the router or rediscover all of these things in which we speak of. Talk to me like an idiot. I can take it!

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

system preferences>network>WIFI>advanced>click network name and hit the minus sign

That deletes the network info and it discovers the network all over again. Not sure if that'll fix the issue, but it's worth a try.

9. Rontrembath thread starter macrumors newbie

Still haven't figured it out, but thank you all for trying

Seriously, thank you. And if anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate any and all help you may be able to give. Thank you!

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

As i posted earlier, I had to do what Freyqq suggests, MULTIPLE times before the 13"MBP would connect. It made no sense, still makes no sense, but it eventually worked. I did try a number of different things(can't recall right now), but removing any and all references to that network should eventually get it to recognize.

Good Luck.

11. Rontrembath thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been attempting what we last spoke of, but it has yet to work. What should be in the DNS part in Network wifi. Should the ipv4 address be the same as the router address? I'm just throwing things out there. I really have no idea what I am doing.