Help on buying Macbook Pro 15 2.53 i5 off of CL

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apatel87, Aug 22, 2010.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at this. I was going to buy a Brand New Macbook pro 15 2.53 i5 off of craigslist today but then I decided to hold off until tomorrow. The MBP's box had been opened but the MBP and the cables and everything were still sealed. I checked the serial number on the box and in the Macbook Pro after I had opened it and turned it on. The serial number matched. I also had called Apple with the serial but the laptop had never been registered so they couldnt comment on it. WOuld they have told me then if the laptop was stolen?
    I installed Istat pro and it said the battery had 3 cycles on it even though it was sealed in Apple's original wrapping. Maybe I am just being paranoid but I dont want to end up with a stolen laptop because I think the deal is too good to be true. He was selling it to me for $1450. What would you do in this situation. I have to let him know by tomorrow. He had no problems with me checking everything and calling Apple. Do you think it would be a problem? THanks a lot for your help.

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Keep it. I'm 95% sure apple does tests on the batteries before they are shipped. I do know they send them with about a 75% charge.

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you think everything is perfect, just get it :eek:

Also keep the seller's address (check his ID card or something with the address) and phone number.

4. CW Jones macrumors 6502

If he didn't have an issue with you checking with Apple... then it seems legit to me. If I had a stole laptop, I wouldn't want someone checking on it.

SO either he is legit and its not stolen, or he just knows there is no way to tell if its stolen. I would say you should keep it. Chances are its not stolen.