Help on Monitor, KB/M, Speakers, External Drives etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattZani, Jan 30, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im Planning to equip my desk so that i can just plug my MacBook Pro in, and be fully connected, Monitor, KB/M, Speakers etc. And im hoping the MR Community can help me stretch the pounds to the best possible setup.

At the moment all i have is the MacBook Pro, as it has been living on a sofa for unprofessional work for 6 months.

I Have made an Excel sheet with what im looking at so far, which i have attached, but any better alternatives etc, any input at all really will hopefully be helpful.

Will be using for Photoshop, Product Design, and Rendering hopefully, and a Place to store and edit my DSLR Shots.

Will be wanting to attach as few Cables to the MBP as possible, i know i'll have to plug in atleast the DVI and USB Cable, but hopefully everything else can be daisy chained off the monitor, except for External Drives.

Final Q, does an eSATA - FW800 converter exist? i found a External Drive mount i LOVE, but it only has USB and eSATA.

To give you an idea, here is my current desk, to the right of the shot is about 2ft more space, i'll get some dimensions in a minute.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance guys! And Girls!

Attached Files:

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I'll just comment on one part of this to give other members a chance. But I think a usb hub/card reader would be essential. And this is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820300103

And it works perfectly. You get a usb hub and card readers (including CF).

I highly recommend this.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thanks, but the 2 monitors im looking at both have a Card Reader built in, but i still may pickup a USB Powered Hub, even though with my current setup, i will have 5 USB's not on my MacBook Pro, but only 2 could accept cables to devices etc.

4. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

If he gets one of those DELL monitors it already has a card reader / USB hub built right in..

To Matt:

Nice pic you took there. Everything looks nice and clean. What camera are you using?

Also you may want to consider going Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to eliminate cables.

You can go with the Wireless Apple keyboard and mouse if you so choose.

The 27" monitor is not a 2009 model, it has been out for a while.

I would go with the 2408WFP since it has DisplayPort. This will allow you to use it with future macs.

In the US we have a site called slickdeals.net. You should register for a similar site to be alerted when there is a deal on one.

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

But but, the 2709WFP is 3" Bigger :p Im not worried about Display Port, my next upgrade will be to a Mac Pro, and either way, im sure an HDMI-Display Port cable will be released, much like the HDMI-DVI now a days.

I Wanted to stick to wired for the 2 added USB Ports, the fact it doesnt have batteries, the Keypad, wont try and connect to my MBP all the time, and its cheaper.

The Camera is a Canon 450D, or Digital Rebel something in the US.

I Found the 2709WFP for £470 on eBay new, or £330 Refurbed, which i think is a pretty good deal.

Obviously the cheaper the better here, as i have Nothing at the moment, and will be saving for a few months to get this stuff, so maybe the 2709 will be updated by then.

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just found out the 2709W is the latest model, and DOES have Display Port, and seems to be exactly the same price as the 2709WFP.

7. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani