Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

attilao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
I just got my hengedock for my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

now i am wondering what monitor to buy

looking at either the 4K P2415Q one or U2515H

the Q is can my MBP run two of the 4k monitors properly? or should i get the other monitor the U2515H

thank you :)
-Attila

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
4K advice

I am starting a new job this Monday. They have ordered me two 4K monitors (Dell 24") and a fully loaded 15" MacBook Pro. Assuming all have arrived by Monday, not a sure thing, the IT department tells me that in order to have both monitors running at 60Hz we will run one through the HDMI port and the other monitor through a Thunderbolt port (mini display port) with a converter to HDMI. Will it work? Dunno. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that. I'll post what we find out once I know more.

Hope this helps.

Adam Rodman

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
4K displays

Interesting. But what if I run the laptop in clamshell mode -- no internal monitor. Does this free up enough bandwidth to run the second monitor at 60Hz rather than 30?

Adam

----------

Also, does it make a difference if I run the two 4K monitors at "best" resolution rather than in native resolution?

TIA

Adam Rodman

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I dunno, but folks hate to waste a beautiful retina screen by putting into clam shell mode.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
4K monitors

It's a tough call. The 24" monitors should yield Retina Display quality, but I'll have to see it up close and personal before I can give a definitive opinion. Even then, these things are always subjective. I can, however, objectively relate whether or not it is possible to run two 4K monitors at 60Hz (albeit using the "best display" option).

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
I dunno, but folks hate to waste a beautiful retina screen by putting into clam shell mode.

"Some" folks might. I have a dual setup (3840x2160 @ 60Hz and 3440x1440 @ 60Hz) and my rMBP is almost always in clamshell, except when I have to take it with me. Depends on your needs and your setup. :apple:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah, I find the laptop screen to be a nice third screen for anything text or menu driven. Seems to be so much easier on the eyes.

My laptop sits on the keyboard pull out shelf which makes the top edge of its screen even with the bottom edge of external monitors on the desk. A nice set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.