Help please. Owners of new MB please comment regards to the startup.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bibbiti89, Oct 19, 2008.

1. bibbiti89 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I decided to make the switch from pc to mac. I love it so far. My problem here is that with the macbook, when I first turn on the computer right before it makes the apple sound, there's this weird noise coming from the optical drive.
    I was wondering if anyone else with the new Macbooks are having the same problem as well.

Here's the sound (i got it off of the the apple support site).
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3054781201801120/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/305478/305478_wake.aiff

Is this sound normal?

Thanks all,
    bibbiti89

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i dont think that sound is normal...my sisters macbook doesnt do that at all...and i really hope mine doesnt do that when it comes in the next few days

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you got the sound off the Apple website then is that noise one of the many "normal" sounds that MacBooks make.......

Does not sound odd to me - sounds like most MacBooks....

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Your optical drive is functioning. That's what the sound is. It is the optical drive spinning up. A self test.

5. dpc macrumors newbie

My Macbook's optical makes a similar noise when it boots up. My old Powerbook did too. I think it's a normal part of the boot process for Macs. I think your Macbook is fine :).

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yeah this sound is pretty normal.

It's just trying to read the disc (but obviously not getting anywhere because it's empty).

7. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

That sound is perfectly normal. I had a Dell which had the same optical drive (made by Matsushita) and it made the same sound--so the sound is not limited to just PC's or Mac's; it's the optical drive manufacturer and the type of drive (slot loading). There is a remedy for booting up the computer w/out the sound, and that is to stick a blank CD or DVD in the drive and the sound will disappear.

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Functioning macs with slot-loading drives make that noise

At least my MacBook Pro and Mac mini do