help please (want large monitor for MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kculloton, May 19, 2007.

1. kculloton macrumors member

Hey [:.

I'm looking for an external display for my new MBP, but I am indecisive on what to get. I want to get a 23' cinema HD, but I am kind of reaching for a bigger monitor. I would go with the 30', but that is way out of price range. What would be a good, reliable HDTV within a 400-600 dollar range for my new MBP that would be very nice?

Thanks [:

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I hear Dell has nice monitors, but I've never actually used one. I would imagine most decent monitors over 23-24" are going to be over $600, though.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

HDTV's have very low resolutions compared to computer monitors so probably aren't suitable. FWIW a widescreen 20" screen is about £200 in the UK, thats probably the sweet spot right now (though a 21" may be sensible too).

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Dells monitors are great for their price and from what I have heard they are much better than Apple's displays. I plan on getting a dell monitor when I have the money to hook up to my MBP because I just don't have enough room to do what I do (I multi-task really fastly!)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple's displays are colour certified and are better than Dell's displays, though if you don't need the colour certification (ie you aren't a print pro) then the Dell ones are a better deal, and have more connectors.

6. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Apple and Dell both source the panels from LG so I doubt there will be any huge difference. Some are exactly the same LG IPS panels.

7. vintagetobes macrumors newbie

Simply not true i'm afraid. If you read any product tests, Dell come out on top, especially with the 30" model.

8. GopherGuy macrumors newbie

Go for it all and take out a loan!!!!! Get the Westinghouse 37"!! It is the best monitor ever! You'll love it Go big or go home!!!:)

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

worst advice ever.

I'd probably recommend the Dell 24" widescreen. You can get it for about $600 shipped, brand new. Great monitor, tons of inputs..

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Don't mix your television with your monitor. You will end up making compromises on both sides and having a TV you hate and a monitor you hate. If costs constrian you, buy a good quality monitor as big as you can and use that as a TV with an external tuning source. Just remember to sit at least 2 to 2.5 X the diagonal of the monitor away from it when using it as a TV.

11. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I've read a couple of reports that say otherwise.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Right that's why CNet disagree, and they are notoriously anti-Apple.

13. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Let's be clear: you could get a HDTV with a 30"+ screen for under $600, but the resolution will top out at 720p (1366x768). The next step up is a 1080p but you're not gonna find that resolution in a HDTV for under $1000. Your options then:

Under $600

720p HDTV, 1366x768 resolution
    24"-wide LCD monitor, 1920x1200

Around $1000

Refurb 1020p HDTV, 1920x1200
    Refurb Dell 30" LCD, 2560x1600

If you're strict about your budget, the decision is a no-brainer: get a 24" LCD monitor.