Help Preordering Via The Apple Store on an iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SluGuru, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SluGuru macrumors regular

This will be the first time I am upgrading to an iPhone (coming over from Android). I have an iPad with the Apple Store that I am hoping to use to pre-order two different iPhones for two different lines that are available for a subsidized upgrade on my account.

1) What will I need to do to get this set up? Add the social security number so Apple can manage my account? Any other steps? I understand the Apple Store App reboots at 12:01 do I need to have it open before for it to just pop up for me when the new phone is loaded?

2) Can you pre-order a new iPhone on the iPad or does the app only work on a device with the number you want to upgrade? Meaning you need an old iPhone?

3) Can I pre-order two iPhones and assign them to the right numbers on the Apple Store app?

4) If it is possible for me to use this method. Could someone give me a rundown of how the process works? For example, I click on Upgrade iPhone > Click on a phone number > Select Model > Pay & then repeat for the other line?

5) If it is not possible, can I do what I need on Apple.com and upgrade both lines there? Is there a way to connect my ATT account on Apple.com ahead of time to streamline the process? Do we pay when we order or when it ships? Do I need to order the fastest shipping method to get it on release day?

6) When the phones arrive does Apple have them set up and ready to go? If not is there a process once I boot up the phones for me to do it on my own?

2. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Question 7

If you preorder from apple rather then AT&T do you get the option to keep unlimited data? Or do it force you to choose a new plan?

3. ColdCase, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Doesn't matter. When you contact ATT to activate the phone, the plans offered will be the same regardless of where you purchased.

Whether they let you keep unlimited regardless is another matter, they did last year.

----------

Apple only needs your phone number (billing zip and last 4 of billing account SSN) to check that the phone is eligible for upgrade pricing. They don't do the upgrades. You don't call from the phone, you can order from any device.

When your phone arrives, and you are ready to upgrade from the old phone, you contact ATT and activate the new phone and make plan adjustment (if required/desired). They will charge you a $36 connection fee. Within minutes you are on line with the new phone.

You can order as many phones you want and, if the phone number is eligible for upgrade, you get the contract price (one iPhone per telephone number). I'm not sure if you can order more than one a session, you may have to order one check out and order another... I dunno. I ordered three last year and just don't remember.

You need to set up a Apple store account, often your apple ID. Have you purchased anything from Apple? iPhone sales are just like buying an iPad or iPod on line.

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

stop taking it so seriously

u r a buyer, preordering will be easy. just relax n wait til it's available

5. SluGuru thread starter macrumors regular

Any help please? We require release day delivery so to have the best shot we need to have everything in line.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I wouldn't get so het up about it. I'm pretty sure you can order iPhones on your iPad - after all, Apple want you to part with more money ;)

Add your card to your Apple account and enable quick checkout if you haven't already (can't remember the exact name, it's something like that.) This'll save you having to input any card details.

Apple don't make it so you have to turn around, count to 10, blink 7 times, turn the iPad 360 degrees and stick your tongue out to purchase a phone. It'll be a lot easier than you think.

Just relax, and get on the app ASAP once preorders start :)

You'll need to set up the phones once you arrive, but it's just a matter of entering your Apple ID, them asking you if you want to turn on things like Location Services and Siri, and you'll be ready to go.

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If the servers get hammered in the wee hours, your concerns are 1) can I get through, 2) will they run out, and 3) is my account ready. Sucks to be working on 1 and 2 and get caught by 3. If its really important, do a test purchase of something small like a cable you'll need anyway. 2 comes down to how popular the config you want, is. 1 is mostly timing.

8. SluGuru thread starter macrumors regular

Huh? So we're just going to let one troll derail serious questions huh? These are very basic questions that I am more than sure many people have dealt with before. Any help is much appreciated.

9. ColdCase, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

.... I think all your questions were answered.... what are you missing?

Apple is not going to guaranty release day delivery (the release day has not been advertised yet), but they have been pretty good. Unfortunately, it is a competition to order the devices (or pick them up at stores). You can be prepared to spend some time when ordering opens, and give it your best shot.