Help? Purchasing iBook in march worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by srobert, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. srobert macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2002
    Hello. I'm currently putting away and saving a decent chunk of my humble paycheck so I can buy myself an iBook.

    At this rate, I'll have saved engough to purchase the 12 incher by mid-march 2004. (With maxed RAM and bluetooth module)

    The problem is that Mid march 2004 is round the end of the usual iBook product cycle.

    What would you guys recommend?

    Should I keep saving and wait for the next revision? Possibly buying a more expensive model?

    When do you guys expect the next ibook and powerbook rev?

    Was their any Rev1 glitches, flaws or defects with the iBook?

    Thanks. Any input is appreciated.
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus


    Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I would say that if at that time it sounds like the product is going to be updated then wait a bit... if you don't *need* the iBook... at worst you'll just have more money saved up than you need... boo hoo... :)
  3. dieselg4 macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2003
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    or if they do revise it you'll just get a better iBook for probabaly about the same price
  4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2002

    I guess I could still pull out a little more life out of my aging cube at that time. I still love the thing but I see more and more new apps and games with requirements that my cube can hardly handle anymore. (Its guts are all original. No upgrades at all) I could upgrade my cube to a 1.4 GHZ (almost double the speed of the ibook) using a 450$ powerlogix upgrade but I just love my fanless cube. A newer computer would also mean overall better specs. (Video, internal bluetooth, USB2, etc...)
  5. jamesatzones macrumors regular

    Aug 29, 2003
    If you can wait it will probably be worth your while. Lets say Apple releases new iBooks in March, any old stock from resellers will be dropped in price and who knows what the new machines will have. Also, the Powerbooks may be updated then too, same situation for replaced Powerbooks, you may be able to get a 12" Powerbook for a good price...

    If your Cube still makes you happy, try and wait. These are my thoughts, I'm sure others may disagree...
  6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2002
    Oh... there is a new G4 Cube processor upgrade for the cube... Fanless... with L3 cache. I can't fint a price for it but should be under 400$

    They recommend Dealer installation though.

    ... and it does'nt look it's available in Canada.

Share This Page