Help! Recently Purchased 2010 MBP 17- Something's Wrong with Apple Warranty Check

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cherishzm, Apr 18, 2011.

1. cherishzm macrumors regular

Hello All,

I bought an 2010 MBP 17 i7 from eBay which was advertised to have an Applecare plan until Dec 2013 and seller sent me a printout with the MBP showing active Applecare Protection Plan from 'Your Service and Support Coverage' on Apple website with a serial number.

However, when I pulled the actual SN of the MBP from 'About this Mac' (also from the bottom case/original box), it was different from the SN shown on the printout. So, I went to the Apple warranty check website (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) and typed the actual SN and got an error message below:

"We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us."

I contacted the seller and he stated he bought it from a dealer that sold him this MBP and it was a replacement received from Apple after the original MBP failed and this MBP has the Applecare coverage. And he stated if I call Apple, I'll be able to confirm this. I don't think it makes sense and am not sure if this is true.

I tried to call Apple to but they are closed now, but cannot wait until tomorrow morning.

Can anyone advise?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since Apple is the horse's mouth for warranty issues, you're going to have to wait until morning whether you like it or not. If it turns out to be a scam, well... that's why you don't buy on eBay.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have seen reports of the following (from these boards):

- Get a replacement machine, and get the standard one year warranty on that machine (i.e. the clock resets to 0:00, no extra applecare although you can purchase it again).
    - Get a replacement machine , get the standard one year and get a prorated refund on the old remaining Applecare
    - Get a replacement machine with a fully renewed 3 year warranty (only one report, though).

So i've seen the first 2 numerous times, but number 3 i've only seen once.

Not saying i'm the authority or anything, Apple is, but that's just what i've seen.

Hopefully all works out for you.

4. rex450se macrumors regular

5. cherishzm, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011

cherishzm thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, thanks for the reply.

Do you mean I can get a new replacement machine even if the one I just bought works just fine? I'm little confused here so will call Apple this morning and get a clear answer. Hopefully I'd get the number 3 answer.

I'll find out today and post the outcome.