Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpwebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
i use a dialup connection over airport for my iceBook. I'm using iTunes 4 and OS X, and I want to GET RID of the stupid radio option under the library. Everytime I accidentally click the radio when trying to select the library i have to sit here forever while it tries to stream radio over my slow dialup connection. why didnt apple make a way to remove this radio feature for those of us on dialup? is there any hack or way to get rid of the radio??? please??????

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
1. get off dialup already. it's 2003.

2. If you click "radio" in the list, it merely shows you a genre list, it does not connect. You have to select a genre, then double-click a station. if you've done that, you should expect it to try to connect.

3. it should not lock up your computer, you can cancel it--

pnw

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
1. get off dialup already. it's 2003.

A lot of people can't get dialup. I, for one, live in an area that was without broadband until a month ago. I didn't have it for a lot of '03.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i'm sick of all this 'get off dialup' stuff... for some people it's not an option for whatever reason, and unless in their posts they say "still using dialup despite having plenty of money and living in an area where I'm able to be connected - i guess i'm a lazy **** who's wasting your time", then leave off.

my 0.02.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'
A lot of people can't get dialup. I, for one, live in an area that was without dialup until a month ago. I didn't have it for a lot of '03.
uh don't you mean cable/dsl?
i remember those days...your upload was like not even 5kb/s

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Macette
i'm sick of all this 'get off dialup' stuff... for some people it's not an option for whatever reason, and unless in their posts they say "still using dialup despite having plenty of money and living in an area where I'm able to be connected - i guess i'm a lazy **** who's wasting your time", then leave off.

my 0.02.

fair enough, but remember almost all of the software companies are producing a majority of their products for broadband-- and most sites use broadband as default (for movies and the like)... quite frankly, it's the new standard. I don't think it's fair to bitch about Apple's software being faulty for taking advantage of a technology that your ISP has not (after years and years)...

Mostly tho, i'm curious as to why his computer is connecting at inappropriate times? If it's really connecting when you click "Radio", there's a problem here--

pnw

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Re: HELP! remove Radio from iTunes 4 please!!!

Originally posted by hpwebel
i use a dialup connection over airport for my iceBook. I'm using iTunes 4 and OS X, and I want to GET RID of the stupid radio option under the library. Everytime I accidentally click the radio when trying to select the library i have to sit here forever while it tries to stream radio over my slow dialup connection. why didnt apple make a way to remove this radio feature for those of us on dialup? is there any hack or way to get rid of the radio??? please??????

I use the radio stations in iTunes a lot but have never experienced what you are. Even when I double click on radio it won't automatically connect. Actually, I have to go into the selections, click a tab, which then connects to update the list, but it won't try to connect to a station until I double click on one.

It sounds like something is wrong with your copy of iTunes. Sorry, that's not what you were asking but.... Have you upgraded to the newest version? You might give that a shot.

hpwebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
I'm using 4.0.1 w/ 10.2.6 and connect via dialup and airport on my iceBook. i can't get DSL or cable, or I would, so lets drop that thread. when i click on radio i get a spinning rainbow colored disk that sits there for a good 5 minutes. If i am patient enough to wait that long it says something like "failed to connect to radio station" (when i've never even used the radio feature before). i'm now to the point that if i accidentally click on radio when aiming for the library i just force quite iTunes and reload it. 5 minutes is a looooong time sit and watch a spinning rainbow colored disk...

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I'm using 4.0.1 w/ 10.2.6 and connect via dialup and airport on my iceBook. i can't get DSL or cable, or I would, so lets drop that thread. when i click on radio i get a spinning rainbow colored disk that sits there for a good 5 minutes. If i am patient enough to wait that long it says something like "failed to connect to radio station" (when i've never even used the radio feature before). i'm now to the point that if i accidentally click on radio when aiming for the library i just force quite iTunes and reload it. 5 minutes is a looooong time sit and watch a spinning rainbow colored disk...

The only possible solution I can see is in iTunes preferences under general. There is a box that says automatically connect to internet, unclick that and see what happens. Also, it may be that when you upgraded to 4.01 it never had the chance to update the existing stations and is just hung up somehow......

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Ugg
The only possible solution I can see is in iTunes preferences under general. There is a box that says automatically connect to internet, unclick that and see what happens. Also, it may be that when you upgraded to 4.01 it never had the chance to update the existing stations and is just hung up somehow......

I concurr, don't let iTunes connect automatically and you should be fine.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I believe iTunes does connect to a server to get a list of stations when you click Radio.

I don't think it's the dialup that is causing your problems. I think for whatever reason - itunes is unable to connect to the server that gives the radio station and times out on your setup.

Mine seems to work (list of radio stations appear). I looked around and was unable to find where the central server could be specified.

arn

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Originally posted by arn
I looked around and was unable to find where the central server could be specified.

arn

When 4.01 was released, I carefully read the user agreement (about the 4th time that has ever happened!) and there was something in there about Radio Web or some such name.

Apple doesn't give the opportunity to modify the play list directly (although you can easily add stations to the library) nor does it give a lot of information about radio. I can only assume that it is a work in progress and that we will be allowed greater access and control in the future. I'm sure the RIAA and all the other corporate entities that are trying to redefine Fair Use and royalty sources have a part to play as well.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Macette

my 0.02.

Everyone on the planet can have access to a broadband connection, even if you are in a remote area you can always get a satelite connection. In the UK a 512Kbit connection can be got for £40 ($65). It may not be as cheap as cable/xDSL, but it is posible for everyone to get it. Of cource some people might not be able to afford broadband.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by hvfsl
Everyone on the planet can have access to a broadband connection, even if you are in a remote area you can always get a satelite connection. In the UK a 512Kbit connection can be got for £40 ($65). It may not be as cheap as cable/xDSL, but it is posible for everyone to get it. Of cource some people might not be able to afford broadband.
bs
it s just not true. I live in Luxembourg, Western Europe, and there are some regions not covered by DSL , nor cable which isn t aviable anywhere. There is no provider for SAT inet. So if you can t get dsl over here you re stuck with isdn / analog modems

hpwebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
Originally posted by Ugg
When 4.01 was released, I carefully read the user agreement (about the 4th time that has ever happened!) and there was something in there about Radio Web or some such name.

Apple doesn't give the opportunity to modify the play list directly (although you can easily add stations to the library) nor does it give a lot of information about radio. I can only assume that it is a work in progress and that we will be allowed greater access and control in the future. I'm sure the RIAA and all the other corporate entities that are trying to redefine Fair Use and royalty sources have a part to play as well.

been there, done that. I have never had iTunes set to auto connect to the internet. The "list" is what never shows up. when I am at my inlaws house on their broadband, the "list" shows up just fine. So there is something that radio needs to access to load that initial list that it can't get if i'm not online...

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
been there, done that. I have never had iTunes set to auto connect to the internet. The "list" is what never shows up. when I am at my inlaws house on their broadband, the "list" shows up just fine. So there is something that radio needs to access to load that initial list that it can't get if i'm not online...

I went to Apple's website and found this document. It basically states that your ISP may have a firewall in place that would prevent iTunes from accessing the database. That would make sense if you can't connect at home but can connect at your in laws.

You might check with your ISP to see if you can get around the firewall if it is in place.

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002

This doesn't make sense. Radio list of genres shows up just fine whether you're online or not. I'm using a wireless connection at the moment (Starbucks) and I turned off my airport card... loads the Radio Genre list w/o problem.

You should try deleting the iTunes Radio cache or plist or whatever and see if that helps.

hpwebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
Originally posted by foniks2020
This doesn't make sense. Radio list of genres shows up just fine whether you're online or not. I'm using a wireless connection at the moment (Starbucks) and I turned off my airport card... loads the Radio Genre list w/o problem.

You should try deleting the iTunes Radio cache or plist or whatever and see if that helps.

i would agree with you. i see no reason why i should have to be dialed up just to listen to music...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by hvfsl
wtf why don't you read these posts?!
my bf (ibookin) lives up on a mountain near Los Angeles and until a few months ago could not get high speed internet access BECAUSE none of the providers could offer it (verizon, adelphia, sbc, etc.). He can certainly afford broadband but it wasn't available in his area...what is he supposed to do, tear up the roads and install a few oc-192 lines or something?! A few months ago, dsl/cable was available. A FEW MONTHS AGO and to you, who has prolly been using dsl or something fast for a few years, you'll prolly think i'm lying because you refuse to believe that there are people in this world who do not have broadband. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!! half of the entire world do not even have computers and you expect them to have dsl available in their area?! it's not like everyone can get access...i'd love to see you try and get dsl speeds down in antarctica. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
It's interesting to see a Brit make assumptions about broadband and then to see an American go absolutely ape$hit in response. Usually it is the other way around but generally involves a lot less agro. It is entertaining nonetheless!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Maybe the delay is in the airport dialing out and connecting. Even after that, you still have to wait for iTunes to scan the radio lists.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by übergeek
wtf why don't you read these posts?!
my bf (ibookin) lives up on a mountain near Los Angeles and until a few months ago could not get high speed internet access BECAUSE none of the providers could offer it (verizon, adelphia, sbc, etc.). He can certainly afford broadband but it wasn't available in his area...what is he supposed to do, tear up the roads and install a few oc-192 lines or something?! A few months ago, dsl/cable was available. A FEW MONTHS AGO and to you, who has prolly been using dsl or something fast for a few years, you'll prolly think i'm lying because you refuse to believe that there are people in this world who do not have broadband. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!! half of the entire world do not even have computers and you expect them to have dsl available in their area?! it's not like everyone can get access...i'd love to see you try and get dsl speeds down in antarctica. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

I know I've said this before, but I am really sick of the get of dialup stuff. über has described my plight fairly accurately (I live on a hill, not a mountain, and it is actually in Los Angeles). I now have a 2Mbps cable connection and I feel very lucky to have it. There are a lot of people in the U.S. that cannot get any form of broadband other than satellite (which is very expensive intially for decent upload, I looked into it).

Ugg: It is indeed entertaining. :D

Back to your problem, iTunes does not connect to the internet immediately when you click the Radio button on my machine. Have you tried repairing permissions or reinstalling iTunes?

hpwebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
for some reason, the problem FINALLY disappeared on its own. all i did was access the radio (for the first time successfully) via my in-laws broadband airport network over the weekend. now when i click it at home I just get the genre options to click on, without the spinning rainbow disk. my guess would be that iTunes required some sort of initial setup of the genres to occur with the machine online, and it wasn't able to do so until i logged in from their house. now that its done whatever it needed to do, i'm apparently ok.

on the broadband note, SBC/yahoo is running a special right now in my area for DSL. $0 setup fees, $30 a month for a year. the trick will be, do they offer it at my house???

http://www05.sbc.com/DSL_new/conten...I=20030606073629C&E=L&CI=&UI=&EL=&TI=&RI=&RD=

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.