Help: replacement of damage iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by galc1991, Jun 8, 2013.

1. galc1991, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

galc1991 macrumors newbie

On Feb. 22nd 2013 I prchased from Apple Store, The Galleria in Fort Lauderdale, FL an IPhone 5,white, 32 GB Verizon company, model MD659LL, A1429 CDMA.

The IPhone was purchased at the amount of 793.94$ (Full Price - No contrac).

To my regret the IPhone cannot be connected to wifi or connected very weak for 1 min. (Poor wifi singal).
    In addition, there is a leak of light under the lock bottom:

[​IMG]

Next week I return to the States after a period in Israel, and I have a few questions:
    1.Can I go to any branch of Apple?
    2.Will I get a new device out of the box or refurb one? I do not want the problem with the wifi will be in the new device will also :/
    If I get refurb one its look like new or used?
    3.I could ask a black device?32 GB CDMA A1429 like my model?

Thank you

2. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

1.1.Can I go to any branch of Apple?

A: I would recommend you just go to a official apple store.

2. 2.Will I get a new device out of the box or refurb one? I do not want the problem with the wifi will be in the new device will also :/

A: You are 99% of the time going to get a refurbished model.

3. If I get refurb one its look like new or used?

A: It will not look used at all, I've gotten 2 replacement iPhone 5's and both looked new

4. I could ask a black device?32 GB CDMA A1429 like my model?

A: No, they will swap out a white 32GB for a white 32GB nothing else.

4. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers!
    All the procedure to replace the device takes a long time? They will put the device for testing? How likely be renewed faulty device as well? Light leakage /poor wifi singal ?

5. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

They will give you an entire new phone, on the spot and take your old one. It's a refurbed phone but it has passed all the quality that a new one has to pass.

6. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

The refurbs are brand new on the outside. When apple takes a old phone, the only parts they keep are some of the internals in the phone. The shell is brand new

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They'll do some minor checking to make sure you didn't damage it, such as take a look at moisture sensors and such. Shouldn't take but 5-10 minutes

8. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I also get new headphones and charger? Should bring the purchase receipt or record a telephone conversation with a representative? Should make an appointment with a representative or simply get?

9. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

The replacement process is quite simple.

Make a Genius Bar appointment here, bring your phone in along with the original receipt and it'll be taken care of, no worries. No need to record a conversation with an Apple rep, haha. Best of luck!

10. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

And if I go without setting meeting they may not accept me?
    I just come to New York and then fly to Boston.

11. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I have never had to show the original receipt. They will check the serial number for warranty which it is in. And they will replace it this way.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

It is definitely a good idea to set an appointment. The stores are often very busy, and many times there will be no appointments available if you go to the store without one.

13. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

You will not get new headphones or charger unless they are defective.

I highly recommend making a Genius Bar appointment. You could wait an hour or more if you do not have an appointment.

14. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a possibility that they will not have a refurb device from my model in stock?
    White-32Gb-Verizon-1429CDMA or There is no such option?

15. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll make an appointment with Apple Genius.
    From what I read here in the forum from people who also have problems with wireless, Apple representatives did not always find it necessary to replace the device and do not agree to replace it.
    I can say for sure that my device connects to Wi-Fi only if it is close to the Router distance of up 2 meters.
    I ask whether it is better to get a case number - prove I spoke with a customer service representative to my house and we were not able to solve the problem?

In addition, whether the light leakage requires them to replace my device?
    [​IMG]

What are the chances that they will not agree to replace my device?
    And what option they will not have In stock refurb device in my model - verizon, white, 32GB?

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

chances are they will replace it, so calm down. as long as they can replicate the issue, then there shouldnt be any problem. and i would say there is less than 1% chance that they wont have the phone in stock.

17. maliu macrumors 6502a

Definitely make an appointment. Easy to do using the Applestore app. You can only schedule a week in advance. Do it as soon as you can as some stores fill up their reservations really quickly.

18. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. galc1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I know if the device is new or refurb?

Device is a registered ND144LL / A and not MD659LL, what's the difference?