Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hi all,
wondered if some of you nice people can point me in the right direction
i have a pc connected to adsl broadband that belongs to my work.
i want to connect an airport extreme base station to this so that the kids powerbooks can access the net through it.
they are currently connected through dial up to the base station but are moaning that its too slow
can any of you help make daddy cool again
?:cool:

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Simple enough, Daddy Cool!

First, do all of the computers have wireless cards? If they do, simply plug the DSL modem into the WAN port of the AEBS, and enable your wireless cards. They should detect the wireless network automatically,

If some do not have wireless, you will either have to purchase wireless cards or run cabling to them, assuming they have network cards. If it were me, I'd purchase wireless cards, as running cable is a pain in the butt.

There are other threads on the forum that talk about security. You can search for:

WEP
MAC address filter
wireless security

And, PS, you can always be the MacRumors Daddy Cool.

stough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2004
not so simple as that

thanks for the reply,

there are wireless cards in all the powerbooks but not in the pc

my modem connects to a usb in the back of the pc

so i have connected it to the pc.
(as the modem shows a red light whenever i connected the usb to the AEBS)

i have connected th AEBS to the line in the back of pc and it seems to be putting out a signal but no luck with connecting the macs to the internet.

any thoughts? as this problem is way above my payscale.....

daddy (not so) cool

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
The USB port on the back of the AEBS is for printers for use in Printer Sharing, so you will have to set it up so the Base Station uses the connection from the PC, which is what you have done already

You will need to make the PC share its connection, in XP I know that you can use Internet Sharing Connection to share the Internet from the USB port to the Ethernet port connected to the AEBS, try that and the kids should be able to access the internet,

of course as long as your PC stays on ;)

If you want the AEBS to access the internet directly and without the use of the PC you will need a Modem with Ethernet port(s)

Hope this helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.