HELP! Same piece of music mysteriously starts playing in random interval

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ka-rei, May 14, 2009.

1. ka-rei macrumors newbie

In the past few days, a same piece of music has started playing randomly while my itunes wasn't even in used. The first time I tried to quit everything (tranmission, MSN) and close my firefox (without quitting it) but it didn't go away. I then quit my firefox and the music stopped.

After that, it kept coming back in random interval, always the same piece of music (which I think I actually have in my itunes but couldn't remember what it is). I have checked my firefox to see if there's any music embedded into any sites that I visited but it happened even when I was just browsing my gmail or updating my blog (with no music). And if I just closed all tabs without quitting firefox, the same song is still playing until it reaches the end.

I have checked Activity Monitor and didn't see anything unusual when it happened. I have checked my widget but I only have calculator, stickies, converter, dictionary on which I don't think could have caused all this.

Please, can someone help me figure out what is going on with my Macbook pro? (I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6)

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Is it music that you have or music from a web page :confused:

4. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounded like one of those songs that I have and only listen to a few times then never bother to come back again. I think it's still in my itunes but I couldn't remember what it is (didn't help that it's in a foreign language either). But I didn't have itunes open at any given time when it happened. I even tried opening it and quitting it but it didn't make any difference. It's definitely not from any website since none of the website I visited since the day it happened was embedded.

6. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

I have cleared out my cache before but it still happened.

Now I'm disabling my plug-ins (WOT, Adblockplus and Noscript) but I don't know if it has stopped yet because it happens very randomly (not when I start firefox, just in the middle of using it or leaving it minimized while doing something else). So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I run "Adblocker Plus and Noscript" and I have no problems. Try reinstalling Firefox again, or did you. I can't remember if you said you did.

8. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did earlier but the music is playing right now. What else can I do?

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's not a musical system voice is it? Like Pipe Organ, or Bells, or Trinoids I think is another?

Check your date and time preferences, and then in the clock tab. See if it's set to announce the time at some specific interval.

Maybe someone changed the alert sound in the sound preferences to a song file? You can't do it be default, but I think there is a way around it.

Maybe someone is playing a trick on you? :D

10. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's an actual song with vocal.

11. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use it so I have never had it open.

Any other ideas?

12. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Create a new account, run that account and see if it plays. If it doesn't, then you probably need to archive and install.

This would be a good one for a Genius, lol.

13. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

14. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's a full song, something I have actually. And even when I have close everything, it still plays (unless I quit firefox)

15. ka-rei thread starter macrumors newbie

So far it has not happened in the new account. What do you mean by archive and install??
    Thank you.

16. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

It means doing a reinstall of OS X. Choosing "Archive and Install" on the OS X boot disc puts your old system in a folder somewhere so you can drag your documents into the new install.