Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Hey i am trying to sell my ipad on ebay but i don't know what site to put it, the US site or go to foreign site? Also, how much are they going for right now?

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
As long as you have the "ship to" and limitations then your ad will post across all ebay sites.

Do a search on ebay for the iPad you're selling and look at the completed listings to get an idea of how much it's selling for.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
You might be better off using craigslist. You deal with somebody local. You switch on the ipad and prove that it works. They hand you cash. You hand them the iPad. And you're done. Selling with 0 feedback probably won't bring you very good bids. Take some time searching at ebay. Look at completed listings to see what they are selling for. Notice that low feedback sellers often get less money for their stuff or it doesn't sell at all.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I second the craigslist suggestion, you may not have as big a nationwide audience, but it's a lot more reliable. And there's no commitment, if you don't get a decent offer you don't have to sell.

rtay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I actually have 100% feedback off like 20 transactions off eBay. So yeah.. And i was looking to sell it on there to make money off it cause I decided i need the 3G version. iPad doesn't connect my the wifi at my college. I just didn't know how to get it to show up on international sites.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I actually have 100% feedback off like 20 transactions off eBay. So yeah.. And i was looking to sell it on there to make money off it cause I decided i need the 3G version. iPad doesn't connect my the wifi at my college. I just didn't know how to get it to show up on international sites.

When you setup the listing, it will give you options for international shipping. The listing will appear in searches in eBay for the respective countries you choose to ship to.

rtay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for the help. I think i am gonna put it on craigslist and try to get as close to the retail price as possible. Tax added another 50 dollars on it, so maybe i will only need to come up with another 160 for the 3G version haha

rtay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I don't want to have to lose the 10% taking it to the apple store. It sucks cause the money is going right back to apple, and its not like they are losing any money selling it refurbished, they have a $500 markup on it as it is.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I don't want to have to lose the 10% taking it to the apple store. It sucks cause the money is going right back to apple, and its not like they are losing any money selling it refurbished, they have a $500 markup on it as it is.

But didn't you say that on craigslist, you were hoping to get close to the retail and then with shipping .. Take it back to Apple and you'll get your money for sure and 10% isn't much for ease of mind.

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
You're not going to make a profit off of selling an IPAD like the Iphone. Its not subsidzed so anyone can buy a new one for the same price regardless if they have a cell account or not. Once you buy and IPAD, your stuck with it or you take a loss selling it. I would go with the 10% return to Apple.

rtay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I thought they were still selling overseas for a mark-up, but i don't really want to have to deal with it. Inguess 10% off is what i would have to sell it for anyway.

Lindat

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
Sell today

If you have feedback of 20, you will sell on ebay. But do it today. Do it before the UK ones hit our shores. People are making huge profits on ebay to us impatient Brits while we await our turn to play. Put a reserve price on of what you paid for it, you'll get it. Start at $99 or something similar and it will draw attention to it. I am assuming it is absolutely as new, mint condition? If so, go for it. You won't lose money. These things have been selling for ridiculously high prices in the UK, the 64gb has been going for $700 or $800!!! Crazy. You should easily get back what you paid for it. Worth a go I'd say. If you don't get the reserve price, you don't sell. No worries.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Hey i am trying to sell my ipad on ebay but i don't know what site to put it, the US site or go to foreign site? Also, how much are they going for right now?

I used eBay for years but the day they started keeping my money until the buyer was happy was the day I stopped using eBay.

Craig's List is your best bet. Meet the buyer and take cash only!

If I were you I would take it back and pay the restocking fee as you will get more. There are unsold iPads in the stores around me so you will not get a premium:(

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
If you have feedback of 20, you will sell on ebay. But do it today. Do it before the UK ones hit our shores. People are making huge profits on ebay to us impatient Brits while we await our turn to play. Put a reserve price on of what you paid for it, you'll get it. Start at $99 or something similar and it will draw attention to it. I am assuming it is absolutely as new, mint condition? If so, go for it. You won't lose money. These things have been selling for ridiculously high prices in the UK, the 64gb has been going for $700 or $800!!! Crazy. You should easily get back what you paid for it. Worth a go I'd say. If you don't get the reserve price, you don't sell. No worries.

Check out my other posts in another forum. I sold a 64gb for $880 and just about broke even thanks to eBay's 8% and paypal's 4.5% and currency exchange through paypal blows. People aren't making money on them at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.