HELP: Selling iPhone 5, Now or Later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 73b, Aug 28, 2014.

1. 73b macrumors regular

73b

I am going to be getting an iPhone 6 on release day. I am not sure whether or not I should trade in/sell my iPhone 5 now or immediately after. Do you think the value would drop that much right away? If I sell it around next week, I could use an old slide-out keyboard phone I have for a week or so until the 6 comes in, if this would get me a substantially larger amount of money for my phone.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Every year I'm surprised how little the value of the previous couple of iPhones drop. You will lose some money, but not a lot, and, to me, it's almost worth not having to switch to a go phone for a few weeks.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it now, as the market will get flooded with iPhone 5 sales. Supply and demand, the supply will get saturated next month thus bringing down the price.

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't expect the iPhone 5 value to go down that much when the iPhone 6 is released. I think the iPhone 5S value will drop more substantially as it will no longer be the current model. Gazelle's current value for a 16GB iPhone 5 in good condition is about $150 (or $175 if it is unlocked). For comparison a iPhone 5s in good condition gets $260 and an iPhone 4S gets $100.

Considering the unsubsidized cost of an iPhone 5 was $649 the price has already dropped substantially.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I got the iPhone 5, and tried to sell my 2 year old iPhone 4, the value plummeted because everyone and his brother were selling them. I fully expect the same issue to occur. The 5S is only a year old and will hold the value more then a 2 year old phone.

6. 73b thread starter macrumors regular

73b

What time do you suggest selling?