Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have a Ti400 that I no longer need, so I'm giving it to a friend of mine who lives on the other side of the country. He currently has a VERY old computer running Windows 95. I don't think he's ever used a Mac, and I want him to have the easiest possible transition to Mac OS X. He doesn't have any money, and he's not at all tech savvy, so I need to provide everything he'll need to make the transition.

I'm wondering if anyone has helped a friend/family member with a similar transition and can help me get him set up.

Some issues:

He'll probably need to transfer a few files to the new computer (probably no more than 400-500 megs). I'm certain he doesn't have a CD burner. I'm thinking he could either hook up the computers with a direct ethernet link (if he even has an ethernet card--not a given, right?) or maybe I could get him a keychain USB drive (are these supported with Win 95? Would his computer even have USB?). Any other ideas for how to move his files?

He'll need to hook up to the Internet (via dialup). What's the best way to talk him through copying his Internet settings to the new computer?

I'm not particularly worried about helping him set up the Mac or get introduced to Mac OS X, because I can easily talk him through that on the phone. But any tips for how to handle things from the Windows end would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.