Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyrobert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
help....

been battling with this problem for weeks now... searched all the threads and been trying to solve this riddle myself, but stumped.

have a 12" powerbook with superdrive. suddenly, although i had been running hard and to be honest probably doing some slightly illegal things (eg copying the odd rental dvd - my defence is that i live in North of Spain and it's impossible to see good films at the cinema) the superdrive stopped reading disks. nothing - sometimes says that a disk cannot be read; other times it spins and ejects, while others open toast as if preparing to burn a blank disk, even though its not. could this be some virus inserted from rental disks to stop people like me copying disks? wouldn't be a bad idea for them to do it...

The thing is I'm not sure if it's the drive itself or OSx, as I can't reboot OSx as obviously the disks can't be read and today I tried to reboot from an external, which although it can read find, it just doesn't seem to want to reboot from...

aaagghh

not sure what to do. thinking of buying Disk Warrior but not sure I'll be able to boot from that...

any advice or dialogue appreciated as in Spain and don't know any mac users to chew the fat with over this...

cheers

Gary

leroy84

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
Ahhh, interesting..

..Just as i have entered the 8th week of trying to fix this problem as well.

But it's just Data Dvd's on my powerbook 1.5 Ghz 12inch-
Whats your processor speed?

I have tried afew oddities- tried to load Panther from CD (my mate had it-i dont have a copy of Tiger my powerbook is second hand) and it wont install :mad:

By reading this ill try the different user account-
He could be onto something lol
Thanks
and good luck

garyrobert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
cheers

well its completely dead now... wouldn't start and emits a high frequncy sound... oh dear off to the repair shop..

cheers anyhow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.