Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LooseInk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have purchased the Olympus SP-500UZ digital camera. It takes GREAT photos and I can download them into my MacBook Pro with ease.

I have tried to e-mail pictures to my old Power MacIntosh G3 (using Mac OS 8.6) and keep getting the error message 'the jpeg segment marker is too short.'

How do I fix this so I can open my photos and used them on my G3?

Thanks!

LooseInk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
More Info

The actual message says:

Could not open "name of photo.jpg" because JPEG marker segment length is too short.

Never thought it could mean the difference between .jpg and .jpeg.

May have to test that possibility.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
LooseInk said:
I have purchased the Olympus SP-500UZ digital camera. It takes GREAT photos and I can download them into my MacBook Pro with ease.

I have tried to e-mail pictures to my old Power MacIntosh G3 (using Mac OS 8.6) and keep getting the error message 'the jpeg segment marker is too short.'

How do I fix this so I can open my photos and used them on my G3?

Thanks!

Mac OS 8.6? Have you thought about upgrading to 9.# ? : )

Assuming you have a CD drive, you can burn them to a CD on your MacBook and copy them over.

LooseInk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Tried That, Too!

The Mac OS 8.6 is fine for what I use it for, and I have copied the photos to a CD and transferred them over from the MacBook Pro to the OS 8.6 Power Mac G3. I can open and view the photos on the G3, but I get the error message after pulling a photo from the CD to the G3 Desktop and trying to open it from there.

I've also tried e-mailing photos from the MacBook Pro to the G3. I can't even view them on the G3 using that method.

I thought burning onto a CD would solve the problem, but nope.

Any help would be appreciated!

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
That jpeg marker thing basically means the file is corrupt. This can happen sometimes when emailing photos. It also could be a format issue.

When you are emailing from your Macbook, make sure you check off the box "send Windows friendly attachements" when you attach the images. This may help. Also, make sure the file exxtension is .jpg and not any of the others.

Lastly, I would recommend downloading Graphic Converter from Lemke Software. It will open any file that even vaguely resembles an image. There have been many times when Photoshop wouldn't touch an image and lo and behold Graphic Converter can open it. They have a 30 day trial and then it costs $30 or something like that. Worth every penny. Im sure they still have a classic version up there.

LooseInk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Good tips!

Thanks. I've downloaded the trial version, but it says I need QuickTime 4.0 at least on my G3 to run it. Can't find QuickTime 4.0 anywhere in my searches. Any ideas? I have QuickTime 7.0 on my laptop, but I know I need a Classic version for the G3.

Also, where exactly is the box regarding sending windows friendly attachments? I remember seeing that once but never again. I checked my settings and couldn't find it. I KNOW I've seen that option on this laptop!!!

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
LooseInk said:
Thanks. I've downloaded the trial version, but it says I need QuickTime 4.0 at least on my G3 to run it. Can't find QuickTime 4.0 anywhere in my searches. Any ideas? I have QuickTime 7.0 on my laptop, but I know I need a Classic version for the G3.

Also, where exactly is the box regarding sending windows friendly attachments? I remember seeing that once but never again. I checked my settings and couldn't find it. I KNOW I've seen that option on this laptop!!!
Try this for the Quicktime. As long as its newer than 4 it should be fine. This is the download for 5.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120132

The Checkbox is in the dialog box in Mail that comes up when you attach a file to a message. You can also set later versions of Mail up to do this all the time.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151530

Lastly, you could also try Zipping the files in OS X before you send them and then unzip them with Stuffit on OS 8.

LooseInk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Awesome!

Both the trail version of Graphics Converter + QuickTime 5.0 did the job!

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to go and take the $30.00 registration route ASAP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.