Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
So here's the deal with the MacRumors SETI ranking: currently, the SETI project only lists the top 200 teams in each category, and the top 200 teams for all categories. Here are the categories for the SETI project:

-- Primary Schools
-- Secondary Schools
-- Junior Colleges
-- Universities and Departments
-- Small Companies (< 50 employees)
-- Medium Companies (50-1000 employees)
-- Large Companies (> 1000 employees)
-- Clubs
-- Government Agencies

All the lists can be accessed here, and our team page is here.

The MacRumors SETI team is a club. So if we want to get on one of the top 200 lists, we need to substantially beef up the number of work units we turn in. The 200th club team has turned in 237758 work units for SETI@home, while the MacRumors SETI team has only turned in 128468 work units. While we still have a ways to go to get onto one of the top lists, we're over halfway there! Just look at how the MacRumors' folding team has blossomed: I think that the SETI team can do the same.

We're also just barely over a third of the way to getting on the top 200 list for ALL teams. The 200th overall team has 385067 work units turned in. That team is Symantec: since most of you all hate Norton Utilities, let's make it our goal to kick them off the list!

How should we do this? I think the first way to do this is visibility. So if you're a member of the MacRumors SETI team, put a little note in your signature pointing them to the SETI FAQ, and perhaps this thread as well. Don't hesitate to tempt those Folding users to defect over to the SETI team as well. ;)

Note that we have a big advantage over the Folding team: we don't have to have computers running Mac OS X. The SETI client runs on any Mac running System 7.5.5 or higher. That means we have a much broader base from which to get power. So if you have a Mac sitting powered off all the time, and you want to get some use out of it, consider adding it to the MacRumors SETI team.

We also need to get more users onto the team. So let's also try to get 500 active members on the SETI team within a few months. We currently have 228 users. Many of these users have been inactive, too, so if we can get these users to wake up and start working SETI units again, that would be great, too.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Good luck, SETI team! It'd be great to see you guys make a serious run up the rankings.

I'll see if I can find a spare machine or two to add to my whopping 6 units. ;)

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
How do you think my old Performa 6300CD will run SETI?

94MHz
48MB RAM
No ethernet--I'll need to get a localtalk adapter or something.

Yes, I do hate Norton stuff. I got systemworks, and antivirus, and personal firewall. It made my Mac go crazy. I think maybe microsoft was really the one to blame, even though they had nothing to do with this incident.

My girlfriend left me. It's microsoft's fault. :D

simX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Just an update: after our last "bout" of visibility, the MacRumors SETI club team has gained a lot of work units from the joined users... currently, we're now at 194134 work units, which means we only have 44573 work units to go before we break the Top 200 Club Team list (since the 200th club team now has 238707 units instead of 237758 units). That's really good considering we were 109290 units behind just a few days ago!

Let's keep it up... we can break the top 200 club list at this rate. And definitely find all those old Macs that you can put to work on the SETI project!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Well, if/when I get my old Compaq PC up and running I'll shove the SETI client onto it so I can have Seti on my PC running all day and then F@H on my Mac.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I used to run SETI years ago, I just transferred my 1400 Units to the team....

I might also fire up some of my spare machines, GO MacRumors!!!

eyefragment

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Well, I just switched alliance from camp Blizzforums to camp MacRumors. C'mon guys, *just* 40,000 more work units to go. Everyone needs to put 100 more work units in, it's not that much to ask... well, maybe it is, but we can't let the F@H team have all the bragging rights can we?

Pull that old G3 233 mhz out of the closet! Put it to work! Go to your local landfill and rescue some computers! Fight for the cause!

{/zeal}

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Looks like we're at 200109 WUs right now. :)

Cool! I put some of my older computers on SETI, the ones they never seemed to make a deadline in folding. (1 400Mhz G3, a 400 AMD K-3, and a 200Mhz Pent Pro.) As soon as I get a network card glitch fixed I will add another G3 400... I know they aren't much but they seem to turn out 6 WU a week.

Why can't MR have two Number one Mac teams. :)

Hey Rower,Why you are in the team list twice?

And furthermore, Why is Team Muro in the list twice taking up a top 200 spot?

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
That makes sense, you wanted proof once and for all about the superiority of the Mac. ;)

That, or we are such a sorry lot that you think you need to compete against yourself. :p

eyefragment

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Ya know... that guy posting his 100.5 work units as taken gives me an idea...

Why are we trying to assimilate members? Why not make this the MAC seti@home team and try to assimilate full teams?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.