Help: The SMTP server “smtp.mac.com” rejected the password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schreiber16, Mar 24, 2009.

1. schreiber16 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So the mail on my macbook just suddenly stopped being able to receive or send anything, everytime I open mail I get a pop up box saying:

The SMTP server “smtp.mac.com” rejected the password for user “schreiber16”

Please re-enter your password, or cancel.

So I enter my password but the box keeps popping up.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to this sort of stuff, and Google tells me that it may be something to do with my ISP.. but I'm at a loss how to fix it. I did a search and there have been others with the same problem as me, but most of them said the problem fixed itself, whereas mine hasn't after a couple of weeks..

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it! :)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

this happened to me yesterday with my gmail account for some reason.

i cleared the browser cache and went to gmail.com and signed in. this somehow fixed the problem

hope this helps.

4. schreiber16 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Gmail started giving me a password rejected error yesterday for some reason when sending mail. I can logon through the web and it's find but SMTP through Apple Mail isn't working.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Open keychain.app. Find your mail password and delete it. Go back into mail and enter password and check box to remember in your keychain.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

One thing to note is that Mail's error handling is borderline retarded. If it encounters ANY connection errors short of the host not existing it throws up an error claiming your password is invalid.