Help to stream Spotify from my iMac to my stereo speakers using my Airport Express?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Bellamichelle, May 25, 2018.

1. Bellamichelle macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

About a month or two ago, I was able to play spotify on my iMac and listen to it on the computer's speakers as well as my stereo speakers in another room, using an airport express. I am assuming this means airplay, but I'm not sure. I just tried to turn it on today, and it will play on either my iMac OR my stereo but not both. Clicking on the sound icon in my menu bar, I see

Output device

Internal Speakers

Multi-output device

iTunes Airport Express

2nd Airport Express (which is for a room in my basement to extend wireless for my tv, etc down there.

I THINK when I used it last month, I chose the multi-output device but I could be wrong

when I try that today, it plays on my computer but not my stereo

If I click on the iTunes AE, it plays on my stereo in the other room but not my computer

If I click on Inernal Speakers it plays only on my computer, which I would expect.

I am stumped on how to get the Multi-output device to work again. And maybe that was not how I did it before and that there was another/different choice when I clicked on the sound icon.

Is anyone else able to stream spotify on their computer and an additional sound source using an AE?

Also, in the various sites that came up when I searched on this question, I saw a reference to choose the 'airplay' incon in the toolbar, which looks like a rectangle with a triangle poking in the the base of the rectangle. To me it looks a bit like a monitor sitting on a stand ;-) I do not see that icon in my tool bar. And I think I remember not seeing it before. I am running High Sierra 10.13.14

Thank you for any help, I really enjoyed being able to do this before.

Michelle

2. mbdownunder macrumors member

mbdownunder

That's really strange. When I click the sound icon in the menu bar I don't have "Multi-output device". I have two Airport Expresses and an Apple TV. The only way I've found to stream Spotify to more than one at a time is a great little app called Airfoil. It has a free trial version, so I suggest giving it a try. I've been using it for years and it's definitely worth the price.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

3. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

Hello mbdownunder,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I created the option for multiple-output device in the Audio Midi Setup app in Utilities. I think I may need to reset my Airport Express to factory and have it rejoin. I know that where there have been multiple OS updates, settings like this can be effected and need to be refreshed. I'll try a few more things.

Thank you again,
    Michelle

4. nnoble macrumors 6502

I'm in agreement about Airfoil, combined with their other free downloads (satellite) you can do all sorts of things using an iPhone or iPad too. https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/