Help transferring files from my hp pavilion laptop to my new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xonnie316, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Xonnie316 macrumors member

Hey Mac Rumors Forum Members!

My previous computer was an HP Pavilion laptop, in which died on me few months ago. The graphics card died and it was built into the motherboard, so I had to replace the whole motherboard. A) Money wise it wasn't worthed B) It was 2 years old.

Now the laptop still works, just doesn't show anything on the screen, but in the background its actually working. So the files from the hard drive are still there. The only way I used to get the screen viewable was by connecting my laptop to another monitor and go into safe mode. The laptop has 2 hard drives. And the files weren't on the primary but on the secondary built-in hard drive. The operating system I was using was Windows Vista.

I've just bought a new iMac, and wish to try find a way were I can transfer the files into my iMac.

Thanks to anyone who will be able to give me any suggestions!

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You could physically remove the hard drive, and put it in a USB drive enclosure.

Or, if you can get it up and running with display in any way ('Safe Mode with networking' would be best.) you could turn on file sharing, and connect over the network.

3. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

Since you just recently purchased your iMac, you will still have complimentary iMac support even if you did not purchase Apple Care.

Apple Genius Bar support staff will gladly help you with this. This is a common issue that they assist a number of Apple customers with on a daily basis. They do this sort of "Windows to OS X" file transfer quite frequently. Do you have an Apple store nearby? All Apple stores include a Genius Bar with staff that go through extensive training at Apple HQ in Cupertino, CA.

4. Xonnie316 thread starter macrumors member

I think thats the best option for me to do at the moment.

I'll head off to Melbourne's Apple Store in Chadstone.

Perfect! Thanks guys.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The Apple Store usually uses software called Move2Mac. If you are a more of a do-it-yourself-er, you can buy it to do the transfer on your own without needing to lug two computers in with you.