Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003
Hello,

I can't get Safari to use RealOne Player when listening to music samples on Amazon.com. Am I missing something? Explorer works with this (it launches RealOne Player when a music sample is clicked, and starts playing the selection).

I'd like to trash Explorer once and for all but my wife demands that she be able to listen to music samples on Amazon.com. Please help!

I have Safari marked as my primary browser in the RealOne preferences, but it still doesn't work.

I'm using the latest version of Safari and RealOne Player on an 17" 1GHz iMac, if that matters.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
What type of music samples are you listening to? Can you tell what the file extension is? eg .wav, .aif, .ram, .mp3

What happens when you click on the music sample in Safari? Does it play with something else – iTunes, Quicktime, inside the browser? Does it download a file?

In the preferences of Real player you can check that you have current plug-in updates in the Autoupdate section.

If it helps, I have used Real player with streaming audio successfully with Safari. These were .ram files. (Note: sometimes I had to wait 15 or so seconds before it started to stream)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.