Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I've planned on getting a new computer this summer for almost a year now. I was expecting a Haswell 13" rMBP refresh yesterday, and I knew I would get it for sure once the Back to School promos began. But no rMBPs were announced, but the 13" MBA was updated to Haswell. I know it has the processing ability that I need (just typing things up, videos, maybe playing around in Logic) for a fact, but in the configuration that I want (128 GB SSD, 8GB RAM, possibly i7) then it ends up being just a few hundred dollars less than the rMBP 13".

But the Air has everything I need.....I just don't want to get it now and feel like trash once the updated rMBP comes in October with new features. I don't know man help me out.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I've planned on getting a new computer this summer for almost a year now. I was expecting a Haswell 13" rMBP refresh yesterday, and I knew I would get it for sure once the Back to School promos began. But no rMBPs were announced, but the 13" MBA was updated to Haswell. I know it has the processing ability that I need (just typing things up, videos, maybe playing around in Logic) for a fact, but in the configuration that I want (128 GB SSD, 8GB RAM, possibly i7) then it ends up being just a few hundred dollars less than the rMBP 13".

But the Air has everything I need.....I just don't want to get it now and feel like trash once the updated rMBP comes in October with new features. I don't know man help me out.

If you can wait, WAIT!

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Why do you need a Haswell machine? The current 13" rMBP can do what you want without breaking a sweat. Unless you want to wait months, then get one.

iPoopeh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
You've waited a year to purchase? Poor thing, buy now! You won't regret it. Don't wait for the next best thing. Once Haswell shall come, you'll decide to wait for Broadwell, then whatever else is coming next. :( Just be happy and enjoy! :apple:

jmcube

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
If you need juice, get a MBP.

If you need battery life, get a MBA.

If you feel bad about getting a MBP that will soon be a step below, then get a MBP 15 inch because I don't think Haswell will improve it much.

Jon

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I was pretty much in the same boat as you but decided to wait. I'm assuming the haswell rMBP 13 will have faster ssds, 9-12 hr battery life with the help of haswell and mavericks, 1080p facetime camera, wireless ac, and hd 5000 or iris 5100. I'd love a quad core option even if it's a low clock but I doubt we'll get that

Last edited:

iPlodder

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
If you want the MBP the I'd wait for the refresh. The update Haswell graphics should take care of the reported "tearing" issues and improve the battery life in-line with the new MBA.

As for buying a MBA instead, that is really going to depend on what you're looking to use it for. Based on what you mentioned in the original post the MBA will be more than powerful enough for typing thing up and watching videos, although I'm not sure how well it would handle Logic (I've not use it so can't comment on the hardware requirements).

You may even be able to save yourself some money and buy a previous generation MBA whilst the stocks are being cleared out.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
If you want the MBP the I'd wait for the refresh. The update Haswell graphics should take care of the reported "tearing" issues and improve the battery life in-line with the new MBA.

As for buying a MBA instead, that is really going to depend on what you're looking to use it for. Based on what you mentioned in the original post the MBA will be more than powerful enough for typing thing up and watching videos, although I'm not sure how well it would handle Logic (I've not use it so can't comment on the hardware requirements).

You may even be able to save yourself some money and buy a previous generation MBA whilst the stocks are being cleared out.

I know the MBA will do everything I need it to for a fact. My current 5 year old iMac with 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo can run Logic decently, this can easily run it extremely smoothly (and I use that rarely too). I've planned on replacing that this summer so I don't really want to wait until October (4 months). The MBA has everything and I know they won't make a new MBA for a year, and it won't get outdated, so I think I'm set with the MBA

----------

well...if you're hesitating, means you're leaning towards the rMBP.

i'd say just wait for it, October is just an estimation but lets hope for an earlier launch :)

Yeah ever since the 13" rMBP was announced I knew that's what I wanted and once they dropped the price I was sure. Damn it man, why couldn't they have just announced them at WWDC aha.....

I want to get a new machine this summer and the MBA does everything but I just don't want to see the rMBP 3 months after I have my shiny new MB that's even shinier with features I could have waited for.

----------

I was pretty much in the same boat as you but decided to wait. I'm assuming the haswell rMBP 13 will have faster ssds, 9-12 hr battery life with the help of haswell and mavericks, 1080p facetime camera, wireless ac, and hd 5000 or iris 5100. I'd love a quad core option even if it's a low clock but I doubt we'll get that

A quad core processor and/or dedicated graphics would make the rMBP sweet, but with the new 5000 series integrated graphics they'll probably have those instead.

Anyone think Apple may drop the price down to $1299?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

A quad core processor and/or dedicated graphics would make the rMBP sweet, but with the new 5000 series integrated graphics they'll probably have those instead.

Anyone think Apple may drop the price down to $1299?

On the 13" rMBP? Not a chance. Think about this. You want to sell a machine that is faster, smaller (in width and depth), and has a far superior screen to an existing model at $1299. Do you price it the same or more? Duh, you price it more.

shznit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
retina all the way. I used 2010, 2011, and 2012 MBA and after getting the 13" rMBP I could never go back.

It's like going from VHS to HD.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Why do you need a Haswell machine? The current 13" rMBP can do what you want without breaking a sweat. Unless you want to wait months, then get one.

Haswell brings huge changes. For one, opening up the laptop is now instant on. Ivy takes 5-10 seconds to let you do anything on the laptop. Just one of the things I noticed.

Also intel 5000 for retina will be a much better performer.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
While there are little things that are in the rMBP's favor, what it really boils down to is this: do you want/need the retina screen or not? If the answer is yes, just wait for the rMBP, if the answer is no, then get the Air.

If you plan on doing a lot of reading on your laptop screen or you like better viewing angles + wider color gamut, then you should probably get the rMBP. If none of what I said matters to you, then the Air is the better deal, although like I said, there are little things that are in the favor of the rMBPs (better keyboard, better trackpad, better speakers, etc.).

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
While there are little things that are in the rMBP's favor, what it really boils down to is this: do you want/need the retina screen or not? If the answer is yes, just wait for the rMBP, if the answer is no, then get the Air.

If you plan on doing a lot of reading on your laptop screen or you like better viewing angles + wider color gamut, then you should probably get the rMBP. If none of what I said matters to you, then the Air is the better deal, although like I said, there are little things that are in the favor of the rMBPs (better keyboard, better trackpad, better speakers, etc.).

That's true. All the updates, I enjoy about the new Air will be available when the updated retina comes out. I have both right now, and the only big difference (minus cpu, etc) is size, weight, keyboard. Size wise rmbp is thicker, feels just a tad, and I mean a tad heavier. But ironically the keyboard feels different for some reason. It's not as flexy as it is on rMBP. But screen, OMG, retina wins 100 times hands down.

However, if there are any apps, or anything you do that doesn't support retina then definitely don't get retina. Scaling is nice, but it still looks badly pixelized.

iPlodder

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
Haswell brings huge changes. For one, opening up the laptop is now instant on. Ivy takes 5-10 seconds to let you do anything on the laptop. Just one of the things I noticed.

This is more likely to be down to the improved PCIe SSD than the Haswell CPU. The Haswell CPUs in the MBA are ULT (Ultra Low TDP) versions and are slightly slower clock speeds than the Ivy Bridge versions, although with the other performance gains in Haswell and the improved HD5000 graphics they come out at roughly the same scores in tests.

I expect that the next gen MBP will use the mobile version of the Haswell (Haswell-MB) processor and it won't be until we know which versions of the CPU Apple chooses before we can compare the differences between two versions of MBP, but I wouldn't expect much of a performance difference between the two versions.

Yep, I suspect this should sort out a lot/most/all (covering my bases) of the graphics issues with the Intel HD 4000 graphics running the Retina display.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Wait for Haswell if your getting the 13". If your getting the 15", it doesn't matter when you buy because Haswell won't bump it much.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Get both!

Im going to pick up the MBA11 andthe rMBP15 - both max spec - along with a new TC.
Will sell the macbook in my sig first and then order the MBA and TC and wait for the Haswell rMBP. I dont think the rMBP will be too much longer, so I'll be waiting for it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

There is your answer. Wait. Once the Haswell rMBP comes out you can make an honest evaluation of what you need. Right now you heart is saying "wait," but your brain is saying "instant gratification." Instant gratification is short lived. Regret is for a very long time.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
wait for the haswell retina. I am sure that rMBP 13" will have more than 10h usage battery, HD5100 or Iris Pro. And for rMBP 15"will have 12h usage battery with HD4600 and Geforce 750/760M. So wait you don't have to regret it later. I think in July will come out

----------

im sure like Tim Cooks said that late this year and beginning of 2014 will se niec products he meant fall 2013 will have retina macbooks pro and mac pro and ipad mini 2, iphone bla bla and for 2014 will upgrade the retina on iMacs

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
On the 13" rMBP? Not a chance. Think about this. You want to sell a machine that is faster, smaller (in width and depth), and has a far superior screen to an existing model at $1299. Do you price it the same or more? Duh, you price it more.

Right..
The 2013 Air is superior to the 2012 Air - they still dropped the price with $100.

I don't think the assumption that they will drop the rMBP with $100 is without merit.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
wait for the haswell retina. I am sure that rMBP 13" will have more than 10h usage battery, HD5100 or Iris Pro. And for rMBP 15"will have 12h usage battery with HD4600 and Geforce 750/760M. So wait you don't have to regret it later. I think in July will come out

I don't see any possible way you practically double the battery life on the 15" just by using Haswell processors. Still going to have a beast of a screen and a quad core processor. Battery efficiency may jump from 7 hours to 9, but I can't imagine it will go much further than that.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

It doesn't take that long for my rMBP to wake up unless it's in deep sleep. Haswell isn't going to change that. Unless you are using it to play games, the Intel 5000 improvement isn't going to mean much.

----------

Right..
The 2013 Air is superior to the 2012 Air - they still dropped the price with $100.

I don't think the assumption that they will drop the rMBP with $100 is without merit.

I didn't say they might not drop the price. I said they aren't going to price it like the MBA, it's going to cost more than the MBA. I think that's a very safe bet.

----------

I don't see any way a simple processor change is going to almost double the battery life with a battery hungry retina display. This is just like all those who claimed for sure the Haswell rMBP was going to be announced at WWDC. That didn't happen either. It will get better but not that much better.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
It doesn't take that long for my rMBP to wake up unless it's in deep sleep. Haswell isn't going to change that. Unless you are using it to play games, the Intel 5000 improvement isn't going to mean much.

There really is something different that they did with haswell. My MBA has been off for 8 hours. Opened it up just now and instant-on. Not even a second delay. Call me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.