HELP!!!! Wanna buy Time Capsule.. Just not sure if I am thinking of the right one!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by akutad, Jul 30, 2009.

1. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Hello,

I have 2 MacBook Pro's and 1st gen intel iMac. I will be getting two iMac G4's for my two kids. I would like a time capsule.... But I want the simultaneous dual band as the older macs and iPhones which have wireless g. A fellow on line has one for sale. The model number is MB277AM/A. He is claiming it is the simultaneous dual band, however I'm not so sure. Do you know? Please help as I have less than a day before it won't be offered.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. akutad thread starter macrumors regular

akutad

yes, BUT simultaneously?

4. Xirian macrumors member

5. sommls macrumors member

MB277AM/A is definitely the old version of the Time Capsule (see http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/).

Having this model myself, I can assure you it does not do both frequencies at once by itself. However, it can be set up to work with a second, older 802.11b/g base station (if you have one already) fairly readily. This is how I have configured our home network of a MacPro (direct wire connection to Time Capsule), 1st generation MBP (with 802.11n wireless card), an old G4 iMac (802.11b card), my iPhone (802.11g) and a Windows laptop (802.11g) from work.

It isn't quite as elegant as the single box solution possibly provided by the new model, but there might actually be better flexibility in the two router solution I use. By cable ethernetting a second router/base station to the 1st generation Time Capsule, you can publish an independent 802.11b/g network at 2.4 GHz over a channel of your choice at that frequency. That leaves you free to run the Time Capsule as 802.11n only at either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz on a different channel so the networks are actually independent.

Doing it this way, there is no question that the 802.11b/g devices do their own slower talking truly independent of an 802.11n computer, which you can connect at 5 GHz if there aren't a lot of walls in the way or at 2.4 GHz for maximum range.