Help: Which Verizon Data Plan Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scottyee, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Scottyee macrumors regular

I recently upgraded to iPhone5 while keeping my grandfathered $15/mo 150mb data plan.
    In addition I've got my iPad 3 on a $20 1Gb/mo data plan and able to tether my iPhone to the iPad's celluar data if required, as the iPad includes a free personal hotspot feature. Unfortunately, the iPhone5 doesn't include this free, unless you go with Verizon's $50 4/Gb month data plan, or imo overly costly: "Share Everything" plan.

I'm quickly realizing that a mere 150mb/mo data on my iPhone isn't going to cut it for me anymore, and that having to take my iPad out just so I can tether my iPhone to it is impractical, esp when wanting to travel light.
    It makes a lot more sense to be able to utilize the small lightweight iPhone5 as the personal hotspot, and tether the iPad to it instead.
    I also realize tethering will drain the hotspot device's battery quickly and may even shorten its lifespan as well.

I estimate the amount of data I'll be requiring is 2-3 Gb/ month total (1Gb for
    iPad and 2Gb for the iPhone).

Which Verizon Data plan below do you Recommend I go with:

#1) iPhone: $30/Mo 2Gb Data Plan (Does NOT include Personal Hotspot feature)
    iPad: $20/Mo 1 Gb Data Plan (iPad can be used as a Personal Hotspot)
    TOTAL: $50/Mo

#2) iPhone: $50/Mo 4Gb Data Plan (INCLUDES iPhone Personal Hotspot feature)
    iPad: NO Data Plan Needed. (iPad can be used as a Personal Hotspot)

Is it worth paying essentially the same price ($50) for Plan #2 to get 4/Gb a month, but will require tethering the iPad to the iPhone, and possibly shortening the iPhone's battery life, or going with Plan #1 and paying the same price ($50/mo) but having less data (iPhone: 2 Gb; iPad 1 Gb) and restricting the data to each device, but avoiding the need to tether?

Thanks in advance for your advice & opinions given.:)

2. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Do not join any company without unlimited.

Verizon, and ATT are the only two providers around me who dont offer it.

You will regret it if you dont get unlimited.

3. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I had grandfathered unlimited on ATT, never used more than 1.5gb a month (this was with a JB'd iphone 4S I was using 3g unrestrictor on to facetime over the cell network), so felt it was a safe switch to go to VZW 4gb share plan and have had no issues. If you're using 2-3gb a month total between the two devices, and don't foresee using more than that except on a rare occasion, the 4gb plan should be perfect for you.

Don't pay too much attention to everyone telling you these plans are a ripoff. There indeed are for people who consume a large amount of data, and a few other specific cases, but most users won't notice much of a change except the occasional text message warning them they're reaching their data limit on the rare month you accidentally streamed a few netflix movies on a long road trip.

Coming from a user with similar data needs as what you've described, I think a 4gb plan sounds like a good fit for you.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Simply not true. Many people (millions most likely) don't have unlimited, myself included, and are perfectly content. My wife is surrounded by WiFi at work, at home, etc. I'm perfectly content with a 1GB plan.

VZW & AT&T are the ones who don't provide b/c they can afford not to. All other carriers are either regional or are playing catch up and therefore need unlimited data to bring in new customers. Big Red & Ma Bell both have vastly superior networks, coverage, and data speeds for most people in most areas.

[/my2cents]

5. AntDogs macrumors newbie

not true i live in NYC and it all depends how much you use it. i have 2GB a month and im on wifi at home and at work. if you are going outside watching youtube and netflix and facetiming then you will need unlimited. i would hit about 1.5 GB monthly. Thats if you are a hardcore user

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Taking an educated guess I bet at least 95% of people would be best fit on tiered plans.

7. Scottyee, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Still waiting to receive FEEDBACK on which of the below 'identically' priced data plans you would best recommend for my iPhone 5 and Ipad 3:

Verizon Data Plan Option #1 ($50/Mo. Total):
    $50 4Gb/Mo Data Plan on the iPhone5, of which includes a Free Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, allowing me to tether my iPad to it to share the 4Gb of data between the two devices, of which will let me cancel the $20 1Gb/mo iPad data plan. Disadvantage: Tethering hassle & iPhone excessive(?) battery drainage and wear.

or

Verizon Data Plan Option #2 ($50/Mo. Total):
    Keeping my iPad's $20 1Gb/mo data plan, and getting the $30 2 Gb/Mo. Data Plan on the iPhone 5 and not having to rely on the hassle of tethering plus possibly shortening the iPhone's battery lifespan. Personal Hotspot feature on iPhone5 with this plan is not included..

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

hybrid of both. Cancel the ipad data plan and sign up for the 2GB phone plan. Tether iPad from phone. Profit. If you find that you're using more data, bump up to the 4GB plan.

10. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

#2 is probably the best plan for you in terms of convenience based on what you described your needs as.

The only reasons I'd think you may want to consider #1 are:
    1) That extra gb of data could save you $10 here and there for the occasional overage month. If that's not a big deal for you, #2 is definitely the winner.
    2) I've done the iPhone tethering + wifi-only iPad combo in the past. It was actually a very good setup, and I found it to work quite well.

As far as your concerns with tethering and battery life, in my experience the phone closes the connection after a period of inactivity so unless my phone was persistently connected to a device that was constantly accessing the internet, I didn't experience much battery drain.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No matter what the topic worth is highly subjective. If you want feedback from us then you need to clarify where you draw the lines and where your dealbreakers are. I have all devices on a share everything plan and don't worry about tethering (except to tether a laptop to a device).

You're the best equipped person to make the call for yourself. I'd go with more data but that's based on my preferences. You need to decide based on your own. If you can't decide then list out the pros and cons. If you still can't decide then assign weights to the pros and cons.

Subjective. I'm on 4GB and it meets my needs. As with anything subjective, YMMV.

12. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

The only carriers around me that offer unlimited are LIMITED in getting consistent cellular service to me, so no thanks.

I share a 4GB plan but thinking of upgrading to a 6GB for an additional $7.90 a month to be on the safe side.

Anyone know what Verizon charged for data overages?

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Unlimited data is useful if you don't want to feel restricted. With Verizon you can make FaceTime calls without worrying about data. You can watch Netflix, Sports, or Hulu without worrying about your data cap. You can use Apps like splashtop to access your desktop while on the go without worrying about a data cap.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

Important to remember how Verizon discounts data plans (if you have corporate discount).

Verizon gives discounts to those who have the old grandfathered $29.99 unlimited data plan. Verizon DOES NOT give discounts to the 2GB $30 data plan.

It's a clear distinction. In your case, you don't have access to the grandfathered unlimited.

But Verizon does discount $50 4GB data plan with hotspot.

So if you get a 20% discount from Verizon. That $50 data plan will only cost you $42 for the iPhone with 4GB data.

So consider that option if you get discounts.

15. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

If someone else you know (like family) is also on VZW, maybe you can merge some stuff together and bump up the plan and then only pay a $10 access fee for the iPad.

I think stuff like that only makes sense with 3/4 devices + on VZW, but just an outside point of view for ya.

16. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I'd have to double check my plan, but I'm pretty sure it's $10/gb, autocharged when you go over.

Not sure if the $10 is subject to FAN or not.

17. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

A great big THANKS to everyone that replied for your valuable feedback and advice. I decided to go with below Data Plan option #2, because for the same $50 price as option #1, #2 also provides an additional 1 GB of data plus a free personal hotspot on the iPhone 5 as well, allowing me to share the 4Gb of data between both the iPhone and iPad (via tethering), allowing me to cancel the month to month data plan I had on the iPad. I've found activating the tethering feature simple and quick, with the 4G LTE data speed seemly just as fast on the tethered iPad3 as on the iPhone 5 itself. So far, doing light-medium browsing on the iPad, I haven't experienced any significant battery drain or battery heating on the iPhone either.

Thanks again for all the good feedback.

#1) iPhone: $30/Mo 2Gb Data Plan (Does NOT include Personal Hotspot feature)
    iPad: $20/Mo 1 Gb Data Plan (iPad can be used as a Personal Hotspot)

#2) iPhone: $50/Mo 4Gb Data Plan (INCLUDES iPhone Personal Hotspot feature)
    iPad: NO Data Plan Needed. (iPad can be used as a Personal Hotspot)