Help! Why can I not install a pulled app on my iPhone that I've already paid for???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

On 9/3/13 I paid for an app called Remote File Manager, it had a built-in SNES emulator so later Apple pulled it from the App Store. I don't see it in my app downloadable history now (only under my account purchase history).

I had a copy of the app on my computer so everything was fine but on 1/30/14 my computer died unexpectedly and so I lost the IPA :(

Now, I found an IPA copy of the app online... but whenever I use iTunes to install the app onto my phone it installs fine and iTunes finishes but on my phone it says "waiting" or "installing" where the app name would normally be and the app is greyed out on my phone.

Shouldn't I be able to install an app that I paid for, even if Apple pulled it from the App Store? Why does it 'install' on my phone but simply is greyed out and keeps saying "waiting" where the app name would be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No if apple pulls an app you can't install it

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

May not be compatible with your version of IOS ?

4. zana macrumors newbie

5. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Huh? :confused:

I was always under the impression that even if an app is pulled as long as you have a copy of the app on your computer there shouldn't be a problem installing it on your iPhone.

It did the same thing though (greyed out on my 4s after installing) on my iPhone 4s on iOS 5 which I know for sure was compatible with the app.

Yes, already paid for it. See screenshot below.

Attached Files:

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

App downloads are signed specifically for your iTunes account. So that why the one you managed to get isn't installing on your phone. Only if you're jailbroken will it work.

7. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG]

Really? :(

So even if it's in my purchase history iTunes still won't install the IPA on my phone because the app has to be the specific one that I personally downloaded a long time ago? :mad:

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Yea if he had the iap but he DOSENT

9. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

But I DO have an IPA copy of the app, I downloaded it off the internet and added to my iTunes library.

It's just that when I sync it via iTunes and it 'installs' it is greyed out on my phone and either says "waiting" or "installing" :(

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If you can't get it installed I would email Apple asking for a refund. I believe they will refund you.

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

But it's not your copy right?

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

IIRC, every IPA file is unique in that it contains the name of who purchased it. If that's not the specific IPA you purchased (ie it has someone else's AppleID embedded in it), then you can't run it on your non-jail broken iPhone. Otherwise everyone would be trading IPAs with each other.

13. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Well, it's not so much the $$$. The app was only $1 after all... it's the fact that I want that sucker on my phone! :mad: I don't like paying for things and having my property taken away.

No :(

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes but that specific copy of it isn't signed to your account. If you had the one you downloaded it may have worked unless it isn't compatible with the version of iOS that you're using at the moment. It's unfortunate but part of the deal. I have two or three apps just like that that I can't install anymore. You just have to chalk it up as a loss.

15. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah I understand that. On a side note there have been apps that were pulled that I continued to use in the past, but that was a couple of years ago. Maybe things have changed. I would still ask for my money back, even though it's a petty amount.

16. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

How I feel right about now:
    [​IMG]

Sigh... thanks guys for your help. ****ing hell I hate Apple sometimes :(

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That makes sense, I believe you are right.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Understandable about your frustration but in the beginning you did say your computer stopped working that had the app on it. It wasn't Apple that did anything to you in this matter. But this also why Apple's quality control with apps is so great. They tie your app purchases with your Apple I.D. That's why you can't go on the internet and download a stray copy. It could have bugs or worms that could harm your iOS device.

Good thing it wasn't a major application or expensive. Just make sure to double or triple backup your downloaded apps just in case Apple has to pull another app. But as others said, don't count on those pulled apps to work for long. With no updates they may not work with iOS 8 or future versions of iOS.

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple didn't take your property off of your phone, nor did Apple take your property off of your computer. :eek:

It was you that lost your property.

I get your frustration at not being able to re-download another copy of it, though.

20. Nancy bout macrumors regular

Help! Why can I not install a pulled app on my iPhone that I've already paid ...

Cal Apple they will refund you I bet!
    My daughter long time ago downloaded at 7am next to me while I was asleep 200$ worth of fake clothes for her fake online doll!through in app purchase.i taught her not to do that now she doesn't but .....
    I almost died!

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Derrrrrrp!!! Look everyone it's the iPolice! :rolleyes:

Instead of posting snarky comments about the OP pirating a 99 cent app (which clearly he did not) you could have posted some advice. But you chose to use the opportunity to be completely useless. Congrats.

As for the OP, I think you're SOL. Could be that the app is so old it won't even be compatible with iOS 8. Or maybe the original IPA you had on your computer was encrypted to only work with your apple id, so a randomly downloaded one from the Internet won't work.