Help: Why can't my Macbook Pro connect to the Internet when it is connected to Wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DanJoshMass, Jul 19, 2014.

1. DanJoshMass macrumors newbie

This past Tuesday, I purchased a brand new Macbook Pro from the Apple Store. It is the 13-inch without Retina Display (see specs here: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/).
    At home, my room is in the basement, and our Wifi router is in the office one floor up on the opposite side of the house. When I try to use the laptop in there, the Internet seems to cut in and out. It will say I am connected to the wifi network, but webpages won't load in Safari. Sometimes it will say that our wifi network isn't connected to the internet, but my iPhone and other laptops in our house are still connected to the internet just fine. When I use the laptop anywhere else in the house, it works fine. I never had this problem with my old Macbook from 2009.
    Another problem, when I was at college on Wednesday, I could not connect to the internet at all. I connected to both of my school's wifi networks, but I couldn't load any webpages. Again, I never had this problem with my 2009 Macbook.
    I took the laptop to the Apple Store, where they exchanged it for a new one. I am still having the same problem at home. I have not yet tried it out on my college's wifi networks or any other public wifi networks.
    Anyone have a similar problem or know what's up with this?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Are you using any ad blocking extensions? Some of them are proxy based and would affect your ability to use the internet on more than one wifi network. Have you tried stringing a wire to your Macbook from the router upstairs? It's not necessarily all that difficult to run an ethernet wire from a first floor room to a basement room... depending on whether your basement has plaster ceilings or suspended ceilings. If it's a suspended ceiling, simply slip a wire through a cold air return then pop out ceiling tiles and pull the wire along until it reaches the spot in the basement where you want to use your Mac then put the tiles back. A 100 foot ethernet wire probably can be had for less than $15 (I found one for $13 with free shipping on Amazon Prime). This would at least get you on the internet at home. You can then turn your attention to figuring out why wifi is intermittent. I assume your MBP came with Mavericks, right? What brand of router are you using? Some routers put out a pretty crappy signal. I've used Airport Extremes, Time Capsules and more recently I use an Asus AC1750 router along with a few access points for parts of the house where I've measured dead spots.

3. DanJoshMass thread starter macrumors newbie

The only extension I'm using is SafariRestore 6.1.

I suppose I could try the Ethernet cable thing. It just would suck to have to go through so much work to fix a problem with my new MBP that my old MB never had. Someone on another forum suggested a get a wireless extender like Airport Express, and I think that would probably work, too.

Yes, the new MBP came with Mavericks, and I have the most recent update. My router at home is a Netgear N600. Like I said, my old MB never had this problem, so I lean more towards thinking my MBP having crappy wireless capability than my router being weak.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ The only extension I'm using is SafariRestore 6.1. ]]

Turn that off or remove it, then try again.
    Any difference?

[[ I suppose I could try the Ethernet cable thing ]]

If you have not yet tried a "hard-wired" setup using Ethernet, try that FIRST.
    This will provide essential info:
    - If you can connect wired (but NOT wireless), something needs attention in your wireless setup
    - if you can't connect either way, problem may lie somewhere else.