Help With Changing AT&T Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

After several years with AT&T, my family is jumping back to Verizon. I am staying with AT&T as I don't have any problems. I will be loosing 3 lines and it will just be my iPhone 5 and a dummy line.

Right now, my phone is using the $50 data plan w/tethering and 5 gig. Family talk 700. If I keep that, I will pay around $100 roughly every month. I get a 15% discount and have some promotions applied as well.

Should I just stick with that, change my plan to $50 data + $39.99 450 minutes, or is a shared plan cheaper in the long run?

It's all very confusing. I don't know if I switch to the 5 gig data + 450 minutes if that comes with texting?

Any help you all can provide would be great :)

2. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

It's my understanding that when you're not using the sharing plan, then texting is not included in the data plan.

The plan I've had set up for a while now is:

450 minutes ($39.99)
    unlimited data ($30.00)
    unlimited texting ($20.00)

Your cost using this plan would be $20 above mine, since you'd be doing the $50 5gig plan.

I had considered going with the shared data plan as well, but it turned out to be more expensive if I wanted the same data use. It would have turned out to be:

unlimited calls/texting with 4GB data - $70
    price for 1 smartphone - $40

Hope that helps!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 450 minute plan doesnt come with texting, that's seperate.
    Depending on how many minutes you use the 450 might be enough for one line and a dummy one. I use the 700 with 3 lines and we never go over it and have thousands of rollover minutes available.

4. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I was guessing I would have to go with the $20 texting plan which is a joke. However, having a shared plan is excessive and overkill.

450 is all I really need. I don't talk much on the phone and when I do, it's all to mobile devices mostly so no issues there.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

i would go to verizon just because its cheaper being on a family plan than by yourself