Help with email on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redsoxguy676, May 1, 2013.

1. redsoxguy676 macrumors regular

Just got back from the apple store, had to get a replacement iPhone. I am having an issue setting up my two gmail accounts on my replacement iPhone.

I set it up as a new phone, wanted to get rid of some apps and have a fresh start. The issue I am having is microsoft exchange is not working for my gmail account setups and when I use the gmail option to set up both of my accounts the push feature for email delivery is not working.

Basically I want to set up both of my gmail email accounts on my new iPhone 5 and be able to have the email messages sent automatically to my phone so I don't have to check the mailbox to see new message notifications.

Can someone shed some light on my problem and possibly suggest a way to set it up correctly? Thank you in advance.

2. redsoxguy676 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that link you provided definitely cleared that up for me. Is the new Gmail app seamless to use? Or would I be better off getting an email address from a provider that uses exchange?

3. sim0n macrumors member

Ive heard a lot of good things about the Gmail app, maybe thats your best bet for the meanwhile

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The GMail app is easy to use. The only issue is it can't be set as the default email app. So if you click a link in another app to an email address it will not open Gmail. For most cases, you can just copy and paste into the Gmail app though. I use it as my main email app just because it works perfectly with their labels system.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If you wanto keep your Gmail address, create an Outlook.com account with your Gmail address and then port your Gmail account over to Outlook; you'll still send and receive with your Gmail address, but have full EAS support from Outlook.com.

I ended up just switching to iCloud because I swapped over to OSX from Windows and like having everything in one ecosystem (aside from my Google Drive), but Outlook.com was great while I was using it.

6. LoveMyPens, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

LoveMyPens macrumors member

I second the use of outlook.com. Have been forwarding my gmail to it for about a month now. In the process of making the complete move and leaving google in the dust. Outlook.com has worked flawlessly for me. Just my $.02.

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I don't care for the Gmail app or Outlook.com. Outlook.com doesn't (yet) support IMAP, so you're limited there.

I have yet to find anything better than the Apple Mail.app which works just fine with multiple Gmail accounts. Set them up using the Gmail icon, not the Exchange icon.

Even easier yet, if you have these same Gmail accounts set up on your Mac or PC, you can tell iTunes to sync those mail accounts with your iOS device.

You will have to use Fetch instead of Push which you can set to auto check every 15 minutes. On the rare occasion that anyone *really* needs to get email more often than every fifteen minutes, you can always open the Mail.app and pull down the screen to refresh.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Why would you ever want an IMAP connection when you can have a full ActiveSync Exchange connection with Outlook.com? Makes no sense. Certainly not a limitation. IMAP is very limiting.

Business users need a full time exchange connection with instant updates. 15 minute wait to respond to the boss or a missed meeting? I don't think so....

9. takeshi74, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sure it makes sense. People still use desktops and laptops with email clients that don't support ActiveSync. Never assume that your preferences/needs are universal no matter what the topic or you'll suffer from tunnel vision like this.

Not if their company isn't using Exchange. Not everyone relies on instant email for business. Again, never assume...

And on the flip side of the above -- your lack of need for push doesn't translate into no one needing push. Same thing applies here: don't just assume that your needs/wants are universal. Each person needs to determine which email solution works best for the person. Best is just as subjective here as it is on any topic.

I use an Exchange account with push. However, I don't assume that others have identical needs/wants/priorities. Do whatever works for you but keep in mind that the next person may be entirely different.