Help with final piece of puzzle to mount external 2TB HD to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by diembe, Apr 7, 2011.

1. diembe macrumors newbie

Hi. I have an iPad 1 jailbroken running 4.3.1 (latest) with iFile 1.5.0-4 (latest) installed. I have a self-powered external 2TB hard drive connected to a self-powered usb hub connected to the iPad camera kit (usb) connected to the iPad. (breathe). Still with me?

I cannot, for the life of me, get my external 2TB HD to be recognized/mounted in iFile. I thought that because the external HD was self powered, it would mount fine and when it didn't, I connected it to a self-powered USB hub to make sure that it wasn't a power issue. I have another 32GB flash drive that wouldn't mount in iFile previously but now mounts just fine when connected to the powered USB hub, so I can't see any reason that the 2TB external won't also mount, unless it is a size issue (2TB vs 32GB), and I don't see how it would be.

Both the flash drive and the external are HFS+, so it isn't a FAT vs HFS+ formatting problem (unless, again, that is related to some HD size issue that the iPad has). At this point, I'm about out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Any and all assistance would be appreciated. I spent a few minutes searching for similar threads and wasn't able to find anything, but if there is a relevant thread I should check out, let me know. Thanks for the consideration.

2. mrlowkey macrumors member

Your setup is fine.You only need to add an addtional step:

1.In yr external HDD create a directory DCIM.... For test purposes, add some photos in there

2. Create another folder /DCIM/100VIDEO if you wish to transfer videos to your iPad. For test puposes add a mov or avi or mp4 inside

3. I assume your term "self-powered USB.." means it has an external power source to run yr external HDD

4. Fire up yr iPad..camera roll will auto detect yr photos & videos followed by a prompt if you would like to import same to yr iPad.

You can also see yr ext HDD mounted in iFile...there you can copy paste... ie invoices pdfs to the appropriate folder etc

It is IMPT to have at least 1 photo in the DCIM folder at all times for the iPad to detect the ext HDD or else it is just blank, as in yr case.

I have the exact same setup..very handy for mobile photographers except my external power source is just the basic external usb battery output 5v...with imovie on my ipad1 ( yup ipad1) & shutter snitch it keeps me busy & my clients happy..

Hope it helps

3. triviajunkie macrumors newbie

I have a similar setup where I'm running a jailbroken iPad on 4.3.3 (very similar to 4.3.1) and have an external harddrive hooked up to the iPad via a powered USB hub. I can mount several flash drives without a problem and all of them show up in iFile. However, nothing happens when I attempt it with my seagate external harddrive. I tried mrlowkey's additional step but still no luck... I've also tried formatting the harddrive to both FAT32 and HFS+(journaled).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!