Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackPKA1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Hi, Im new to LR as Ive been using iPhoto forever. My husband just got me LR 5 and I really want to get started using it. Can someone provide good youtube videos on how to get started creating folders for LR?

Also, my iMac is automatically set up to import from my camera in iPhoto. How can I change those settings where it can just import into the folders I will create?

Lastly, I would love to import the post processed LR images back into iPhoto for organizational purposes. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do that?

Thanks so much!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I would love to import the post processed LR images back into iPhoto for organisational purposes. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do that?

Thanks so much!

I would strongly advise against this and use LR organisational system. It will take a little while for you to get used to but is much better than iPhotos structure IMO. As the other poster said there are loads of how to videos on Adobe's site. I have had mine a few months now and like it so much more than iPhoto.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I'm enjoying Lightroom, but still getting use to the method of creating collections and even searchs on keywords as needed. I never really added meta-data to pictures until I began using Lightroom.

trs0722

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Newark, DE
There's a few ways you could use both. I shoot in RAW and export my favorite processed pics as JPGs over to iPhoto. This way, iPhoto does not have huge files. My thought is that JPG's will take up less space on my mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV). I do love iPhoto's main interface with photos/events. It's easy to scroll through to see everything and the dates. With LR I tend to have the date view open (left panel) instead of all pictures. Looking at the "pictures" folder views all of them but takes a little longer to load.

I started out exporting pics from LR to a single folder named "LR to iPhoto". Then I would just import them into iPhoto. Then I learned how to set up a preset and have iPhoto open when I export the pics I wanted to send over. Both of these ways are a few extra steps. The bad part is exporting takes several minutes. I reduce the resolution to 1920 by 1200 (my monitor resolution) and set the quality high (90 or so). The files are only about 2 mb.

More recently I set up a smart collection like this: any photo I assign a 3 or higher gets put in a smart collection "iPhoto". Then I periodically open that collection and export them using my preset to iPhoto. Piece of cake.

JackPKA1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
trs0722-how did you create that folder to import back into iPhoto? Can you please give me step by step in detail? I would really appreciate it.

ossgraphics

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Kindly explain step by step procedure of creating folder back into iphoto. I would be thankful . :)

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Personally I would not use iPhoto for organizing the images. The Meta tagging in LR, at least for me is easier. You might consider importing your iPhoto images in to LR an organizing everything there.

Why do I feel this way? Because LR is first and foremost a cataloging system that can also do image editing.

Here is how I would think to start converting from iPhoto to LR. Find where iPhoto has stored your images and copy (not move) them to a folder. They are stored in iPhoto which you can get to pretty easily. In iPhoto, just right mouse click and select Show File. Then navigate in Finder to the top most folder but not the iPhoto icon. What you are looking for is the Originals folder. Copy it to another location with a meaningful name.

In LR, just tell it to import or better yet, set the location for the collection to the folder you created and tell it to sync the folder contents (right mouse clicks).

From there you can start the process of adding meta tags and categorizing your collection.

My use if iPhoto is to get images back on to my iOS devices. To do that I create folders in an album folder and export from LR to that folder and then drag and drop in to iPhoto.

Hope this helps a little.

Hi, Im new to LR as Ive been using iPhoto forever. My husband just got me LR 5 and I really want to get started using it. Can someone provide good youtube videos on how to get started creating folders for LR?

Also, my iMac is automatically set up to import from my camera in iPhoto. How can I change those settings where it can just import into the folders I will create?

Lastly, I would love to import the post processed LR images back into iPhoto for organizational purposes. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do that?

Thanks so much!

trs0722

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Newark, DE
trs0722-how did you create that folder to import back into iPhoto? Can you please give me step by step in detail? I would really appreciate it.

I set it up after finding the link below. Terry White is awesome in case you haven't run across him yet. I use it like he does in that I only send my favorite ones over to iPhoto after importing and editing them in LR. Experiment with your own settings for quality, name, and size. I used to rename them "LRedit" but don't anymore. I use 1920 for long side and around 90 for quality. This reduces the size. You can reduce more depending on where you will be viewing the pics.

Like another poster said, LR is better at cataloging your images. iPhoto requires more steps to find your original photos. I've also had to rebuild my iPhoto library several times as it occasionally experiences problems. Never had that problem with LR...just remember to let LR be the main program and you'll have less problems. It's powerful software that can do so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5XviN8aLQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.