Help with keyboard control needed…

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nick T., Apr 1, 2008.

1. Nick T. macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    For the past year or so I’ve been running an evaluation Mac mini side-by-side with my Core 2 Duo WinXP box.

There are some areas where OS X is the clear winner, such as Spotlight. In other areas Windows is the clear winner, such as their Trash implementation.

One area that is giving me a lot of problems is gaining keyboard control of OS X. Many keyboard shortcuts are difficult to discover and non-intuitive; such as “control-F2” to highlight the Apple menu.

I feel that I'm more productive if I can minimize switching between the keyboard and the mouse. For example, when working with a text document I’m more efficient if I don’t have to lift my hand from the keyboard to the mouse to make a selection.

A few minutes ago I did the following, all using my wireless aluminum keyboard:
    1. pressed “command-Spacebar” to open Spotlight
    2. typed “tex” and pressed “return” which opened TextEdit
    3. typed some text into TextEdit, then decided to abandon the document
    4. pressed “command-Q” to quit TextEdit and got a Dialog Box with the Save button highlighted.

Very smooth, efficient, and keyboard centric up to this point, but now I’m stuck.
    I can press “return” and save the document - - don’t want to do this
    I can press “esc” and cancel the Quit operation - - don’t want to do this
    Pressing “tab” doesn’t cycle through the buttons as expected.

Is there any way to select the Don’t Save button using a keyboard shortcut?

Thank you for supporting a possible switcher.
  2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2007
    If I understand you correctly what you are looking for is:

Not directly related, but have you already tried Quicksilver? A must have if you like shortcuts! You will find it here:
  3. Nick T. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Thanks Misterredman!

Command-D works like a charm.
    I'll take a look at Quicksilver.
  4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    This actually came up not that long ago, here.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I never knew command-D worked for this- learn something new everyday!!!

I never knew about the esc button doing that either.

Just in case the OP doesn't know, "command ." selects the cancel button

One I just found was command-shift-n for a new folder when that option comes up in a dialog window.

It makes sense that one doesn't need the command button as there is no line to type on at that point. If there is a line to type on in the dialog box then you need to use the command button I guess.
  6. Nick T. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    I don't understand - - neither D, nor C, nor S have any effect on the dialog i mentioned.

command . does work the same as esc for me

At risk of being yelled at - - it sure would make OS X easier to use if the kbd short-cuts were consistent and were shown in menus. And what are those weird symbols. Is this something else that can be attributed to Steve Jobs eccentricity?