Help with Macbook Pro – Sudden Shut down when not connected to power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jing.hao, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jing.hao, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

jing.hao macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm new here, and I'm having some problems with my MBP...

Recently, it started randomly shutting down with no warning.. it's not like quitting all apps, but really sudden complete loss of battery...

The computer doesn't restart when I press the power button, nor does the battery light show anything when I press the check-battery button (although there has always been at least 30% charge left in the battery).

It then works fine again when I plug in my power cable, and the battery light flashes again, at the % of battery it was at... Sometimes the time resets itself to 2000 as well...

It's a 2009 13 inch 2.26 core 2 duo, running mountain lion 10.8.2 with 4GB memory..

Edit: Oh right it has been saying service battery ever since I upgraded to lion..

PLEASE HELP!!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. jing.hao thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be... probably nothing logic board related right...?:confused::confused:

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've had this happen over the years on a couple of my portable Macs. If the battery dies before it hits 0% that is usually a good indicator that something is wrong with the battery.

You can option-click on the battery indicator and it'll display the condition of the battery. My MBP says "Condition: Normal." If I recall correctly it will say "Condition: Replace soon" if something is wrong. Alternatively, you can see more detailed information about your battery using the System Information application in your utility folder. Just open it and select "Power" on the left panel, it'll display a bunch of info about your battery.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Classic symptom of a worn battery.

The only relevant information you gave us was 2009. Wanna look at charge cycles?

Battery meter is not gospel to begin with and when worn, don't even look at the battery meter.

6. jing.hao thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine says service battery.. but it has been like that for a year now, and nothing has really gone wrong...

The battery has 806 cycles now :S

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, I can almost guarantee it is the battery.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Nothing has really gone wrong, except that now it's failing to run off the battery. Get a new battery, chances are all will be well.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So you've been ignoring the engine light. OH WELL.