Help with printing in Quark...

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
I hope someone out there can help me with this...When I output a job in Quark, if a font is missing it defaults to courier. Is there a way I can make it reject the job entirely (not output the job) instead of substituting fonts? Where would one control this option? Thanks a bunch for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

'Beaver

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
not so fast....

And this would help....how....? That is another issue altogether. Here at all of our workstations are runnin' Quark. It seems so simple what I'm tryin' to do. When I open a Quark job (we are runnin' Suitcase) if for some reason we have a customer supplied font, we get a alert dialog that states we have missing fonts. We have had Operators that blow past this alert and output a job with the font missing, there for the substitute courier. I was just thinkin' that there would be a way to not substitute a font and alert the Operator again that the font is missing.

Thanks again, I know your tryin' to help. Hey, if it was up to me, I would switch to InDesign.

'Beaver

loser

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2002
What are you outputting to? If it's an imagesetter or other device with a software RIP, you might have a preference or setting in that app that will stop the job if fonts are missing. Quark will only warn you, but give you the chance to proceed because it is possible the font resides on your output device and would come out correctly.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
I am doing this blind, because Quark has gone bybye from my hard drive since InDesign-

Go to ?Utilities? > Usage (where you can check the links and fonts). Whenever you have a font with an asterisk, that font is missing and you will get the courier.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
is the reasons why companies haven switched to indesign because of money or because they are affraid of change? or something else entirely different? because dang man... indesign is just much more of a higher quality app.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
can't you just include the font with the output? I know when we used to do the school paper in quark, we just included all the relevant files including the fonts

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
Haiti/NYC
indesign is NOT a quality product yet...it needs work...i think in version 3.0 they will have it...

of course...quark 5 osx is almost here...jv

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Re: Help with printing in Quark...

Originally posted by Screamingbeaver
I hope someone out there can help me with this...When I output a job in Quark, if a font is missing it defaults to courier. Is there a way I can make it reject the job entirely (not output the job) instead of substituting fonts? Where would one control this option? Thanks a bunch for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

'Beaver
If there's any chance to control it, it's going to be in the preferences or print dialogs in version 5.x.

If your customers are using version 5.x, the "Collect..." (pre-flight) option under the file menu works well to keep everything together including fonts and images although the links dialog sometimes complains that things are not linked even when they are.