HELP with recovering phone data PLEASE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by counterclockwor, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. counterclockwor macrumors newbie

Hey all, I have a question for my girlfriend who is in a pickle.

So her iPhone 4 broke yesterday. It was basically cheaper to buy a new phone than replace the screen on her pretty old 4, so she got a 5c. The iPhone 4 was traded in.

We get home and the iTunes won't recognize her 5c because the iTunes is too old. So we'll just update iTunes right? Well, turns out her Macbook (which is from 2006) has 10.5.8 and needs to be upgraded to at least 10.6.8 to get the newer iTunes. It seems the only way to get 10.6.8 is to order a $20 DVD online. Issue? Her MacBook has a spotty DVD drive an ordering the dvd doesn't guarantee it will be able to work. Plus, she doesn't have time to wait to get a dvd in the mail.

My solution (I think) is she has a brand new desktop PC, and maybe we can take everything from her iTunes on the Macbook and bring it to the PC and get her stuff back on her iPhone. We have the contacts (AT & T did that for us) but shes missing everything else. The most important thing for her is her PHOTOS in camera roll and her photos in the camera app Hipstamatic, as well as her Notes. The music library is probably the least important since you can always redownload music from the internet. Is it feasible to move the itunes over to the PC, connect the new iPhone then get everything back??

Best way to help in the situation? Help would be GREATLY appreciated, I don't want her to be upset she lost her memories.

2. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Bring phone and Mac to Apple store. Get them to a) transfer to new Mac you buy, or b) get them to upgrade her to Snow Leopard.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Did she back her phone up to iTunes routinely? If not then it might not matter much anyhow since there would be nothing to restore.

As far as the camera app(hipster whatever) did it have an account associated with it? If it did she may be able to login on the new phone and her pictures might be there.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No iCloud backup?

5. counterclockwor thread starter macrumors newbie

No iCloud, she didn't have it setup

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Assuming she had her iPhone backed up on the Mac, read this to figure out where the backup is.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Then you need to copy the entire folder with the loooooong name from the Mac to the PC backup folder. (Well, first, install latest itunes on PC) If you do it properly, when you start iTunes on the PC, do a Ctrl+, to open the Preferences dialogue box, and click on the Devices tab, the backup should show up.

Once you complete a restore, immediately redownload the apps for which you want to preserve their data, in the order of their importance -- most important first. Do not use the phone to do anything until you have downloaded all your apps. The apps should hopefully come up with their data intact.

And do get her to setup iCloud backup, that should avoid this headache next time.

7. counterclockwor thread starter macrumors newbie

This sounds like a plan, I'll give this a shot, thanks a ton!

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, on the PC (and perhaps on the Mac too, not sure), you may have to show hidden / system files and folders in order to see the relevant folders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.