Help with trash.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Hey all.

I need some help emptying my trash. I am getting this message when I try it: <see below>

Any ideas? Holding down control or option doesn't do it, and I don't know enough unix to really feel safe messing with anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Pete

Attachments

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
the one thing that sucks with OS X, privileges... I belive you have to delete the file from the terminal. Enable root, go into the .Trashes folder with the terminal and rm -f the file!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Have you tried only having one item in the trash can when you go to empty it?? Sometimes you need to delete just a few things at a time, depending on the permissions and such. You shouldn't need to get into the terminal and d*ck around with things there.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
I have before been able to apple i and change the priviliges of an individual item, then delete it but sometimes not. You can always boot into classic and do it in 9

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
Ahh!!

Booting in classic! I forgot about that trick. Thanks everyone for the help.

About me using the terminal...I enabled the root user, and went to the trash directory, but there was nothing in there from the terminal which I thought was odd. I didn't want to mess with anything, so I posted here.

Thanks!

-Pete

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
i get that a lot, especially when I put in files recently downloaded from IE and it gives me the 'file in use' message.. :rolleyes:

does 10.2 fix these sorts of things?