Help with UNIX! Please!

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Guys,

I have a corrupt file on my desktop that is constantly blocking my machine when I try to move it or delete it by dragging it to the trash. Im starting to be really pissed off with the fact that i have to turn off my machine! How can I delete this sucker from the terminal? the file name is RBrowserLite.3.0.9.dmg

Thanks in advance for your help

Tiago

P.S. Sorry about the rude expressions... but im loosing my mind on this...

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
go to versiontracker.com, download an app called XRay. When you ahve it, select the offending file, and under one of the menus of XRay it says 'Emtpy Trash' Its the only nice way of doing it without logging into root, etc etc.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Don't forget sudo

You'll probably have to add the sudo (superuser do) command in front of the rm command too.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Actually do this:

rm -f ~/Desktop/RBrowserLite.3.0.9.dmg

If that does not work then do this:

cd ~/Desktop
su
<type in admin password>
rm -f RBrowserLite.3.0.9.dmg
exit

Note, that you can type rm -f RB<tab> where <tab> is you hitting the tab key. The csh supports tabbed autocomplete and it is very nice.

BTW ~ represents the current users home directory. The reason why just doing rm -f RBrowserLite.3.0.9.dmg won't work, is because you most likely are not in the correct directory when you start the terminal app.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Thanks for your replys! I've done the "rm -f RBrowserLite.3.0.9.dmg" in the desktop directory and it worked just fine! :) thanks! I was starting to be completly out of my mind...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.