Help With Verifying my Privacy is Safe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I am selling an iPhone 5s, so last night I took out my SIM card, and (as per Apple Support website) I went to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings. I was hoping to setup the iPhone now as a new phone, just to verify that all my data is off of the phone, but it keeps saying that it needs a SIM to "activate."

Is there any way to start this phone without putting my SIM back in? I'm not trying to activate the phone, I'm just trying to start it up and see what's on it for my own peace of mind before I sell. I tried logging into my WiFi, but it says it still needs a SIM to continue, even when I plug it into iTunes.

At the very leas I'd now like to erase the phone again, since it is now storing my WiFi password.

Advice? Thanks

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You need to put in the sim to activate it. No need for any wifi password. Skip all of those personal questions. You should be fine. You can remove the sim later.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You would need to put the SIM back in in order to activate it, at which point it's going to make you go through the entire activation process again before you can get back to the Erase All setting.

Next time, just Erase All, confirm that it goes back to the Hello screen, and trust that when it's on the Hello screen, it contains none of your info.

4. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can put the SIM back in, but as far as I know, the SIM was disabled since I got my iPhone 6. Will this be an issue do you think?

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No problem. It will still activate the phone. That's the best way to sell it.

6. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

For anyone reading this in the future, just put your old SIM back in. I was able to "activate" and setup the phone as new, despite my old SIM being inactive and still having "No Service."