Help would be immensely appreciated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Erinacous, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Erinacous macrumors newbie

First of all, sorry if my english is not perfect (live in the Netherlands).

Well..

My iphone 4 got stolen 3 weeks after it got bought. This sucked obviously..

Through a second hand website I bought a second hand one. It was claimed to be unlocked etc. I visited the guy that wanted to sell it and it looked great. It worked fine and I bought it.

When I arrived home I reset it (still had some songs and random other stuff on it) and it automatically updated the iphone. Mobile phone restarted and I couldn't wait to enjoy my new phone. And then (while setting it up) I received a disastrous message.

'Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPHone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPHone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card'

This confused me, obviously. I sent an email to that guy to which he guiltily replied that it was actually AT&T locked. He jailbreaked it and 'hid' cydia.

I know that there is no decent ios5 jailbreak yet. But is there a way to revert to ios 4? Since it is now pretty much a useless phone. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Unfortunately by upgrading to iOS5 you have also upgraded the baseband (which is what permitted the unlock on iOS4)

Even if you were to downgrade the baseband will remain upgraded, thus you won't be able to unlock it again.

Afraid you will need it on ATT which I know won't be possible for you in the Netherlands.

Only thing you could do is sell it on, or move to the states!

Sorry bud

3. Erinacous thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I was afraid of that. I've been trying a tethered jailbreak throug redsn0w, but that doesn't seem to be working either. *sigh*

4. silverblack, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Where exactly did you buy this USA phone from the Netherlands? Ebay? If so, you have the right to dispute the purchase and demand for a full refund. The reason is, the buyer did not provide an accurate description of the phone. Save all the email conversations, and provide them all to Ebay.

A jailbroken unlock should not be advertised as a true unlocked phone.

By the way, the above poster is right. Now that you have updated the iPhone's baseband, it can (almost) never unlock it by software. You only hope, as far as I know, is to use a Gevey sim.

[EDIT] You will need to downgrade your baseband -
    http://www.smashiphone.net/downgrad...ne-4-on-ios-5-to-unlock-with-gevey-sim-how-to

5. Erinacous thread starter macrumors newbie

Kind of a dutch version of ebay. Which offers no protection. It's all 'your own risk'.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

So Gevey sim may be your only hope.
    If not, you can always sell it back to the US via ebay, and try again.

7. Erinacous thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, I guess I have to sell it. Or find another sucker like me :D

8. Erinacous thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it kind of went from bad to worse. Somebody advised redsn0w. Everything went fine, it got jailbreaked (jailbroken?). But now it's stuck at the loading circle after the apple logo. Screw this..I'm going to bed..:(

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's stuck at the apple logo probably because it is a tethered jailbreak. However, even though you succeeded jailbreaking, you still cannot unlock. So don't bother.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wow. That really sucks. I'm really pissed about that. I hate swindlers. Honestly, I don't think there's any other way to have the phone unlocked and make it stay that way. What I can suggest however is sell your iPhone on eBay (US, I guess?) - most are going for at least $900, locked or unlocked. Use that money to buy a factory unlocked from Apple. If option is unavailable in the Netherlands, ask someone in the US to do it for you, they'll just ship it to you after they receive it. But, you've got to seriously trust them. They may not send it to you. So, make sure you know them first.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

^^^ this is an iPhone 4, not 4s. It won't be worth $900. For iP4, there's still some hope of unlocking using Gevey sim, I think.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Whoops. Totally missed that it wasn't a 4S. :eek: :D