Help! Xbox 360 to 23" apple cinema display/or Macbook pro to cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anonymouslives, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Hello,

I'd like to connect my 360 to my apple cinema display, either directly or through my macbook pro. Anyone able to offer any help?

Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you will have to get an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. no sound will be outputted though DVI though.

3. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

How do I get sound?

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Do you have an old Xbox, or one of the newer ones with the HDMI output on the back?

If you have an older one, I don't know what you'd do. If you have a newer one, use the dongle and either go with the RCA connectors (red and white) to external speakers or use optical (TOSLINK) to a receiver.

Either way it'll probably require a separate stereo of some type.

5. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I actually haven't bought one yet, I was going to tonight or tomorrow. Would a Playstation 3 be easier?

6. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Don't buy a system because it is easier. Buy it because it has the games and features you want. I have all 3 systems, and my Xbox 360 Elite definitely gets more time than the Wii or PS3 combined. I haven't even fired up the PS3 or Wii in about a month, and the PS3 just got used to play Metal Gear Solid 4.

I'm not familiar with ACDs, so I can't say totally. From what it sounds like, you have a system (or more correctly, will have a system) with HDMI out. Your Apple Cinema Display has a DVI connector, which is good for video only, not video and sound like HDMI is.

You might want to consider picking up a cheap LCD TV. :)

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Okay, I just did some more looking. Yeah, no matter how you slice it, you will need another source to get sound out of either a PS3 or 360. Will your budget allow for a cheap stereo or a HTIB (home theater in a box) setup?

8. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I'm not sure what you mean? could you post a couple links to some setups? I may actually have some things around here. Thanks for your help! :)

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

No problem, anything for a fellow gamer and Mac user. :)

Here are a bunch:

http://tinyurl.com/6zwy5o

This is something what I basically had in mind:

http://tinyurl.com/55rltr

Basically, ANY stereo that will take RCA input (those Red and White plugs) or Optical (TOSLINK) will work. It doesn't need to be 5.1 surround sound, heck, even a 2-channel system will work. Basically any desktop standalone stereo system made in the last 10 years should at the very least have RCA input as an option. Post here or PM me if you have any more specific questions.

10. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Ok, I have a stereo I think will have those connections, or I will buy one. What exactly do I need to pick up to connect the Apple display to the 360?

Thanks again.

11. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Cool, I hope you don't need to buy a new stereo. If you do, try and stay with established brands. Onkyo is one of the best bang for the buck if you go with a 5.1 HTIB setup. As for cable, all you'd need is one of these:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TL952LL/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables&mco=Mjc2Mjg

No problem, my pleasure.

*Edit - another site to check out is www.avsforum.com A lot of great info there. Home Theater is one of my other hobbies, and the help I've received there has been invaluable. I have the same screen name over there if you need anything there as well. :)

12. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Thanks man, you rock!

Oh, also, since that's a male adapter, that will connect to my macbook pro, right? The how will it connect to the apple monitor? The apple monitor has a male adapter too. Thanks