Help !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abeld61014, Nov 7, 2011.

1. abeld61014 macrumors member

ok im looking at purchasing a 4s outright because im sick of beign tied down to contracts, i have a few question about this however and i am yet to find anyone with the answer.

1) As i am from the UK, could i have my american friend purchase a 4s unlocked or t-mobile phone and have them ship it to me and have it still work by placing a UK sim in the phone.

This would save me a lot of money because they are half the price in america, they start at around £500 in the uk

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

the fully unlocked 4s non contracts aren't out yet. Sometime latter this month through Apple. They may be tough to get at 1st!

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

£500 is about US$800 - the iPhone 4S will cost US$649 plus local tax and shipping expense. You might save a little but nowhere near half price.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope

The US system is different to ours in the UK. If you want a truly unlocked 4S, your best bet is to order from Apple direct.

I get a large discount from Apple but I will give you a little tip. If you can, pay using an American Express CC and ask for your discount. This will help you a bit.

I have a SIM free 4S and a 4, I have not been tied to any provider for many years....It keeps them on their toes, and If i want to change, I just get a code and off I go.

Secondhand iPhones hold their value well too (as do all Apple products) so look at it that way.

My 4 is going to a friend next weekend and he was looking at tariffs as he isn't happy with his current provider.

He came up with one heck of a good deal from Tesco Mobile (I don't know what hey are like as I'm with O2) 10.50 on a three month rolling contract. Google it. It's worth a look.

5. bp1000, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

bp1000 macrumors 65816

thats right in the usa they don't have the fully unlocked phones yet

I picked up and black and white 4s from the bullring in birmingham and i'm using both with o2 simplicity iPhone tariffs.

If the goods get stopped by customs you will have import taxes too. The difference is probably minimal so best just to buy from our apple stores unlocked.

and as said above, yes the tesco deal is phenomenal. o2 isn't a bad network at all. I get the fastest 3g speeds on them (I've tried all networks) but i do get slightly better coverage outside of cites on other networks like three and orange.

Only other deal at the moment is t-mobile doing a special, sim only, 12 month contract, 300 mins, 300 texts (could be more), 500mb data for £7.50 p/m (just phone up and ask). Not bad but a bit thin on calls and possible data if you aren't near wifi each day.

Then there is giffgaff (also o2) but payg, their goody bags give you unlimited internet and 300 mins for £10 p/m

6. zign macrumors 6502

zign

I'd say that getting one in UK will be easier. There will be a shipping cost and then there is always a chance you will have to pay customs.