Helped friend update to 3.0 - bricked her phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by treyb, Jun 21, 2009.

1. treyb macrumors member

I updated from the computer I did my 3G update on and it failed to restore. I tried a new user and my macbook air.

Talking to tech support they said it seems to be machines that have updated more than one phone. I then pulled out the first intel mac mini which had never seen an iphone. I updated it and tried to install the software still with no positive result.

Anyone else have this prolbem or a solution to unbrick her phone?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It may be a temp issue because it happened to me during an update of the first gen phone. I had to reinstall iTunes to get it to work again. Oddly enough.

3. treyb thread starter macrumors member

maybe, but i doubt it. I was on three separate machines and the old mac mini had to install itunes 8.2 and quicktime (it was only iTunes 7 that came with the 10.5 release)

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. I've managed three iPhones on three computers (with the various combinations of phone to computer depending on where I'm at). iTunes and the iPhones should be able to handle it.

I don't have any links but there are a number of threads on how to recover a sick iPhone. :) If all else fails it's off to the Apple Store! Good luck.

5. treyb thread starter macrumors member

it pretty much seems all else has failed. I tried downgrading but couldn't actually find the correct update (i didn't look very hard though). I'll just let the geniuses earn their wages in the morning i guess.