Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Did you get a new iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro, or 12 Pro Max for the holidays? If so, make sure to take some time to browse through this article, which is packed with helpful tips, tricks, and guides for the iPhone 12, 12 mini 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, and earlier iPhone models.

Whether you're new to iPhone or have upgraded to a new model, there's likely to be something in here for you. There are hundreds of features and hidden tricks available on the iPhone, so it can be easy to forget the full range of what the iPhone can do.

iphone_12_colors_lineup.jpg

Below, we've rounded up our most useful iPhone-related how tos and tutorials, both for general iPhone usage and for getting used to iOS 14.

Tips for Beginners

Using iOS 14

iOS 14 in More Detail

For iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Owners

Must-Read Security Tutorials

Hidden Tricks and Tips

In-Depth Guides

We have in-depth guides on many of the features found on the iPhone as well as Apple's services and iOS features, so make sure to check those out if there's a particular aspect of the iPhone that you're interested in learning more about.
Selling Your Old iPhone

If you're planning to sell or give away your old iPhone now that you have a new model, make sure to check out our detailed guide on how to cleanly erase your old devices to get rid of all your data.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Helpful Tips, Tricks, and How Tos for New iPhone Owners

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Still tooling along with my iPhone 7 Plus. Someday when the next iPhone uses mLED.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Gosh, I miss the days the iPhone didn't need pages and pages of instructions to find all the functions.

I think you'd be happy when the first iPhone was released. Didn't have to worry about that pesky copy and paste stuff.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
How about an article on how to get my iTunes files from Mojave on my iMac to my iPhone 12 or iPod Touch without losing my artwork or iTunes files?
I don't see anything on this extremely helpful list about that.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
How about an article on how to get my iTunes files from Mojave on my iMac to my iPhone 12 or iPod Touch without losing my artwork or iTunes files?
I don't see anything on this extremely helpful list about that.
Connect it by cable and sync the music?
I just have set up an iPhone 12 pro with iTunes on Mojave. As I do have a lot of files, it took ages, but went flawlessly - besides the fact, that iTunes usually puts the wrong artwork on certain files.

...there is a software update, if you connect recent iPhones to make them work with iTunes. It usually gets invoked automatically.

Also syncing 3 different generations of iPod nanos that way.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Connect it by cable and sync the music?
I just have set up an iPhone 12 pro with iTunes on Mojave. As I do have a lot of files, it took ages, but went flawlessly - besides the fact, that iTunes usually puts the wrong artwork on certain files.

...there is a software update, if you connect recent iPhones to make them work with iTunes. It usually gets invoked automatically.

Also syncing 3 different generations of iPod nanos that way.
iPhone 12 with IOS 14.2 won't communicate with Mojave. Insists on me updating to Catalina. Not going to happen.
Is it possible to revert IOS device to 13?

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It is just a screenshot of the Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 and the iPhone12 Pro running iOS 14.3 - connected over WiFi - cable works as well. Maybe you should update the iPhone to 14.3.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Many thanks for your replies and advice.
I already have 14.3 on the phone, and it shares my iTunes files from the iMac on Mojave OK with Bluetooth between them as you illustrated. But not all my albums from the iMac show up on the iPhone. Those that do appear to be able to be downloaded, but will have to investigate further.
What I'm after is to actually transfer the iTunes files and function to the iPhone and a new iPod Touch, both of which have sufficient GB to hold the files, so I can have the music other than within Bluetooth range of the iMac-physically resident in the IOS devices 256GB memory -independant of the iMac.
I may be wrong, but I think it is necessary to USB cable link them to do this.
With the iTunes files on the phone and touch, I could then sync and play my 18,000 track, 30 year collection on my Alexa devices and my Otonics hearing aids, which is pure heaven with the music between my ears.
I can already due this with my Touch running 13.5, purchased before Apple switched all new devices to 14. All my music transferred with the cable sync, but can't do it with 14.
Bummer!
Perhaps I'm asking too much.
The alternative is to attempt to upgrade to Catalina and wrestle with methods of getting my iTunes files running on that piece of trash. I'm not quite desperate enough to risk that yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.