Henrico students 'excited' to have Dells after four years ...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Nermal said:
Wow, let's have a news article because three out of thousands (?) of people say they hate Apple! :rolleyes:
Excitement is a fleeting emotion. Love and passion are more durable... time will tell.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I want to see this story from a National paper. This article came from Herencio and was forward to the Richmod paper. I also have a feeling the issues they ran into (and didn't detail) with the switchover were not as "little" as they claim.

Remember that they "Loved" the ibooks at first, lets see what time does with the Dell systems.

counting down the days until the school wide virus outbreak!

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
"When I studied for tests, I didn't use my iBook," Heit said. But he expects to incorporate his Dell into his studies this year.
Maybe he did not study with his iBook because he did not study at all...? :rolleyes:

Let's check back in a few weeks after the the internet has sabotaged a few more good computers... :rolleyes:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
bluebomberman said:
That's a little harsh, don't you think?
Most people in high school say they study but do not. Such is the nature of laziness...

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
yea, there are a few things wrong with the way they highlighted many things in this story

1) This is the second time they have done this, lessons were learned from the apple rollout as well

2) Dell took a hit on many things to get the deal to go through

3) The old iBooks were 4 years old, any computer would drive me crazy that was 4 years old

4) The computers were just imaged, with the restrictions I read they placed on these things to try to prevent spyware and virus' from hurting them students will soon be disappointed

5) Apple's sever products (i.e. Tiger) are 100% better than what they must have had before. Apple is still new to the enterprise market and there is no way you could have called Jaguar Server a close contender to the flexibility you had with Windows Server 2000. That has changed significantly with Tiger Server.

6) Before you write an article on how great it is, wait a year. Many of the iBook problems were after 1-1 1/2 when everyones logic boards were failing. Dell's record for laptop problems isn't so great either.

just my 2¢

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
It was strange to me why they didn't implement Office for OS X instead of AppleWorks. That would have made more sense IMO. Judging by the way the article was written, it doesn't look like the school did a very good job of implementing the iBooks to the students. It just sounds like the school district dropped the ball on the whole Apple tech deal, and now their kinda blaming Apple's computers for it.

Also, you cannot compare 4 yr. old technology to todays technology. Even the iBooks of today are so much better than the iBooks of 4 years ago.

You get 10 students to complain and then write and article about saying that everyone is glad to have their PC's back? I was reading an article last week, or the week before that said most people in the Henrico School District wanted their iBooks back. Teachers had no idea how to use the new Dells, they were given no training, and the entire school district had to hire more techs and implement more security measures just because they switched to the PC.

This just sounds like a coverup to the many stories written about the Dell Laptops actually being more expensive in the long run than the iBooks when the school board thought they were saving money by switching.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm actually interested in seeing how this progresses. I think XP systems are fine for high school kids. To me, the Mac is something that you can only appreciate by using something else, and it is sort of an acquired taste (although, once acquired, addictive). I love OS X. Love it. Cannot stand not having it around. But, if i were 16 and just had to do my homework on it, then hey, I wouldn't complain about Xp either. I wish them well.

We all just know they could enjoy it even more with Macs.

Edit: not saying high school kids can't appreciate macs. Many MR members are high school kids who do just that. Mainly saying that XP is fine for almost anyone, just not, IMHO, as good.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
If they got the macs 4 years ago, I guess they were using OS 9. Who wants to even touch classic anymore?

I dunno, woulda been nice if they stayed with Apple, especially since the new iBooks are cheaper and have better specs than the Dells they bought (assuming they bought the 12", not the 14")

Outside of Screen size, those Dells should have nothing on the current iBooks.

We'll see where things are post Intel switch. :p

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Trowaman said:
If they got the macs 4 years ago, I guess they were using OS 9. Who wants to even touch classic anymore?
If I recall correctly, the iBooks had Jaguar installed. Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me...*shrugs*

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
dornoforpyros said:
Meh, as much as we all love our macs, they are not for everyone *shrugs*
Good point, the same can be said for any type of technology. I however am glad I am back on my iBook as opposed to using my work Dell Latitude.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
This sounds like a cover up from the county to make everybody in the community feel warm and fuzzy about the switch regardless of the increased total cost of ownership.

In ANY situation where there are 1000's of people using a technology you will have those who love it and those who hate it. No big deal. We'll see how this plays out in the next 4 years. The truth will come out and the horror stories will pop up. I certainly hope this works out, but as experience has proven, PC's are finicky, and buggy.

They'll need all the support they can afford...

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
dornoforpyros said:
Meh, as much as we all love our macs, they are not for everyone *shrugs*
Not to mention I'm not so sure high school students need laptops funded by the government anyhow. College is another story, as it's faster paced, you're on your own, and you have classes all over the place. High school, based on my experience, never required a laptop.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Nermal said:
Wow, let's have a news article because three out of thousands (?) of people say they hate Apple! :rolleyes:
Cheers Nermal, thats why I labeled it "Opinion", I will be keeping an eye open for follow up articles as they come out too.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Silly article - seems more like a piece of fluff to make the people who made the decision happy.

And what with the wireless comment? That seems a bit silly - if the original iBooks didn't come with wireless, fine - but its not a huge issue if you're getting new ones and its not like Apple doesn't have wireless capabilities.

And if you interview enough people, you'll find one or two with a quote you'll like - I'm sure there are some who aren't happy, but why weren't they quoted?

Bleh,

D

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
wtmcgee said:
Not to mention I'm not so sure high school students need laptops funded by the government anyhow. College is another story, as it's faster paced, you're on your own, and you have classes all over the place. High school, based on my experience, never required a laptop.
Yep, I never needed a laptop in high school. Senior year, when I did get a laptop, I only took it to school so that I could pretend to study while actually going on the wireless network and not studying. I look at that picture and see a bunch of kids on AIM talking while their teacher is presenting a lecture.

Why not spend the money to help with math programs, as the U.S. is behind many other countries in math. I know I could have used extra help in math.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
I can see it now. When those dells start to "explode", they will be partying with big faces saying, " This is how computers are supposed to work. They keep IT people a job helping our unemployement numbers." :D

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Of course they didn't like the iBook they were using a few months ago, it was four years old at that point and had been used by high school kids.

Lets see how good the Dells are in four years.