"Here are 10 reasons why millennials are America’s most screwed generation"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 29, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/her...ennials-are-americas-most-screwed-generation/

#7 has pros and cons, so it's interesting they focus on just the cons and only ONE con at that, especially when there are much larger issues regarding the concept of retirement to begin with. Including the double whammy of not having the money to invest with thanks to low low wages and high high college costs to get the degree needed for a job yet, unlike corporate welfare and other supply side bailouts, students are seeing no practical relief.

Other points are facts or facts mixed with hyperbole.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"Between a record federal deficit, the war in Iraq, the torture of political detainees, the eroding of constitutional liberties and the financial meltdown of 2008, the Bush years were devastating for the United States."

Between a record federal deficit, the wars, in Iraq, Syria, Libya, the killing of American citizens, the eroding of Constitutional liberties, and the slow recovery of the financial meltdown of 2008, the Obama years were devastating for the United States.

ETA: Basically every single problem they mentioned was brought to you by the Federal Government.

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

You know I keep hearing about all of these millennial posts, but have yet to see a consistent age range. Some say its <24 some say it's another name for Gen Y, then there's always an exclusion range where the initial cutoff is 28 and the next metric starts at 35. Where the hell do 29 - 34 year olds sit? On the fence? Being in the age range of 29 - 34, none of this crap actually rings true for me except the college debt as I would have started college when the millennials did (Army first). I'm ready for some metrics that actually mean something instead of just saying millennials suck and here's 10 reasons why.

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Agreed.

While rarer, I had posted a couple of times in the past why the generational blame game is also a cooked oversimplification, especially when some millennials (like Schreki and others) act no better than their elders who either taught them to be vultures or ignored the teachings to not be vultures.

I could have sworn that the actual age ranges are variable as well, even one that managed to almost push out Gen X... makes no difference, there are people of all age groups and generalizations that believe and act in different ways. But today's 18-29 group do have it a lot worse off than the 29~55 group and even the 55~75 group or older have gone through strife.

But attempted generational groupings aside, the core underlying issues still exist and largely adversely affect everyone for one reason and/or another. :(

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's not what the article is saying, they are saying millennials are screwed. Basically things that have been said for every generation sorta like how previous generations say that they were the best generation.

6. mildocjr macrumors 65816

To follow up with my last post, after reading this article, it's probably accurate and good material to shove in my grandparents face when they say I'm using my money wisely.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    The general format is something wrong with being a Millennial. I just used it as an example to show how popular these pages are becoming, but thanks for pointing that out. You did this forum a justice.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Honestly I'd say I'm doing pretty good, I have a decent job (mid-5 digits), a 4 year degree, a wife and 2 kids, one who lives with me. I can make the bills and still have leftover for both of our student loans and rent. But when I asked for a house from the VA they offered max 100k for a house. Where I live 125k gets you out of the ghetto, 130k starts you off in middle class and 250k starts the elites. The average wage where I live is ~$32,000/yr. This is the highest paying job I've found and it's in IT if that says anything.