Here are what AT&T LTE speeds are like THROTTLED!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Sep 28, 2012.

1. MattMJB0188, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Toggled LTE off and got the same on HSPA+. At the beginning of the year it was about 20kbps.
    [​IMG]

First test is the throttled one.

[​IMG]

Still very usable. Netflix quality looks bad, but loads.

THROTTLE ON LTE:

[​IMG]

2. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

I don't think your on LTE. Your bar shows 4G which is not LTE unless you turned it off afterwards.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

so basically you have a sprint iphone now! ;)

spotify will work too on the lowest quality setting. Yeah netflix looks like poop and buffers for a few min, but is usable!

im glad was able to trade my att udp for a verizon udp... Dont miss being throttled.

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I got the same exact speeds with LTE on. I just wanted to see if it differed on HSPA+.

Makes no difference if your on 3G, 4G (HSPA+) or LTE you'll always get about 500kbps down.

----------

Spotify worked fine on extreme. Netflix looked like crap, yea.

5. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

6. Justinm59 macrumors regular

How did you do this? I have an AT&T unlimited plan but am getting a Verizon plan and was going to sign up for 2gb but if I can keep unlimited some how I'd love too.

7. drkryn macrumors member

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can't "keep unlimited" when switching carriers. Only Sprint lets you sign up with unlimited data now..the others force you to a tiered or shared plan when you sign up new. I think the OP above might have gotten his plan during the short Verizon unlimited window. That or traded accounts with somebody.

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nah it doesnt work like that,
    i just posted on craigslist if someone wanted to swap my grandfathered plan for their verizon plan(not sure why someone would want to give it up, seeing how they dont throttle 4g devices) . I just took over his plan he took mine, and added a line for $9.99 a month. (iphone 5) activated it on the unlimited data line and had them put a dummy esn on my 9.99 line i added.

i was going to get the 6 gb share everything (only plan they offer) even though i dont want/need unlimited minutes. it was going to be $120 a month.

taking over his unlimited plan, i picked 700 min, with the unlimited text and data + the extra line i used to get the iphone 5... and it was the exact same price LOL $120 a month. so now i have two lines, one i can use for upgrade and one for my UDP. same price..

FYI anyone who doesnt want the share everything BS plan. just find someone who has verizon, have them add a line pick whatever phone you want, then they can transfer it into your name and you will have the old family plans that allow you to pick your minutes add lines to it etc.

10. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

This is the AT&T grandfathered $30 plan, NOT Verizon.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

he was talking about my verizon plan i think. dunno why he said OP

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

13. droeun macrumors member

Doesn't Verizon throttle too? I could have sworn I read that somewhere before.

14. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Only if the tower is overloaded.

15. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I only thought I used about 2GB's. This proves that LTE uses way more data. Can't stand when people say, "Oh it only loads faster, doesn't use more." Yeah right!!!

16. Tigrao macrumors member

And only on 3G, not LTE.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

17. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

18. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Even then, there haven't been many reported cases of them having to enforce it.

19. mattopotamus, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have not noticed a single difference in high data usage.

20. bwhitta macrumors regular

I've noticed huge differences in my Speedtest results after changing servers. The server that the app recommended was poor. I changed to different servers for a number of more tests and the results were normal. I was worried that I was being throttled, as I'm around 15gb usage since release, but it just appears that the speed tests vary between server.

21. ra1129 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, What are your actual speeds when tested using a speed test like speedtest.net APP on AT&T LTE????
    I'm also in Miami Dade, I Also live in North Miami Beach, Sunny Isles area and drive all around Maimi Dade for work. At Night I go to school in FIU's south campus as well. The reason I'm saying all of this is because I've driven all over town testing my iPhone 5's LTE speed while connected to the "LTE" network but also have been unable to get network "LTE like" speed readings using the speedtest.net APP using a bunch of diffrent servers to test off of. The readings are usually around 3 to 5 MBs down and 2 to 4 MB up. Fastest I've gotten is 8 up and 8 down. What speeds did you get after they swapped out your phone and you started connecting to LTE bc you seemed happy about a considerable change I imagine and I just want to make sure I'm not getting short changed. I have grandfathered unlimited which simce i got iphone 5 has switched to 4G LTE unlimited and have called on 2 occasion to confirm although I saw it online as well when I logged on. PLEASE HELP AS MY 30 window to return phone is up soon bc I confirmed with AT&T they start counting from day you order phone online, (which I did September 14). Want to get this handled before I'm in more of a bind and they have the upper hand cuz I'm locked in with them with no recourse. Thanks any help , and/or speed test results on AT&T OR any other carrier for comparisons sake would be greatly appreciated ESPECIALLY AT&T.
    PS I'm not being throttled as I just checked and I've only used 350MB of data in the 5 days I've had iPhone 5.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

t-mobile does too.

23. BSoares macrumors regular

The slow speeds you get are about the same as my iPhone 4S on Verizon. I think only once I got around 1Mbps. Most of the time it get 500kbps or less.

My wife's iPhone 5 on AT&T is way better though, often getting over 50Mbps on LTE.