Here is a perfect example of why we don't trust the MSM:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

3. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

I just wish that more news outlets from all sides of the political spectrum would focus more on policy/outcomes than attacking his random personality traits which make no difference to anyone who isn't directly involved with him.

I mean, the size of his hands, the amount he spends on his hair... who cares? Tell me more of what he's done that actually impacts people.

4. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

The Chicks are a hoot. :)

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Agreed. He's done plenty to affect people, enough that nobody needs to get hysterical over relatively trivial stuff like feeding fish.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I agree that this is not only misrepresenting the facts, but the larger issue is that it's a non story to begin with.

I was amused but never thought Bush throwing up was a news story either. People get sick.

7. zin macrumors 6502

Crooked News Network strikes again. All the more ironic given CNN's Twitter picture.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

My bigger point is --

It really hurts anyone's case when they peddle in falsehoods (chicksontheright, for example, is op-ed garbage, NOT news), especially when they're trying to stand up and deliver accurate information.

There's just too much incentive for anyone to chase clicks. The volume of readership becomes more important than tempered accuracy.

I've mentioned in another thread that I see it from my social media friends in all fringes of the political spectrum. I get right-wingers posting BS about how Obama is Muslim (still!), and I get left-wingers posting every little faux pas about Trump.

C'mon, guys. Policies and actions.

(although there is a case to be made about how one's temperament affects policy -- because laws are inherently based upon opinions, so statements reflecting opinions DO matter)

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, he did, in fact, dump the fish food in the pond. It's not like CNN just made the story up, or faked the video. Did CNN screw up by failing to provide context, in that Japanese PM Abe did the same thing first? It also ought to go without saying that it's not a very good practice to feed Koi in that manner. But hey.

CNN screwed up on that story, sure. But they got roundly criticized for so doing by other parts of the MSM, like the article on Vanity Fair

In the big scheme of things, Trump dumping a box of fish food is pretty much irrelevant. About as relevant as Barack Obama mangling the pronunciation of the word "corpsman." And we all know how Fox News and the righty-fantasy media covered that.

11. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The description of two cable news outfits as the Mainstream Media just further illustrates how the term is a meaningless shibboleth.

First, look AFP provided the full video in context, so too did the Associated Press. Those are mainstream outlets, boys.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post uploaded the Associated Press video. And, the NY Times barely mentioned feeding the koi, using it as a backdrop for Trump selling the Japanese PM on American weaponry.

Reuters also provided video, which the Guardian headlined as "Trump and Abe dump fish food into precious koi pond."

The Chicks on the Right are ginning up their readership by again using a critique of CNN and their dippy cousin MSNBC as a way to attack the "Mainstream Media." But, there's a wealth of mainstream outlets who covered this nothing-burger story, correctly.

And, CNN updated their video to provide context. When has Fox News admitted to a mistake in coverage? It's remarkably rare. And, that's before we get into the mountain of ******** that is the network's usual coverage.

Again, how do the "Chicks on the Right" know that CNN screwed up? Because of the Mainstream Media!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Hah, I just assumed it was a typo.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

While true the way it was portrayed it is a CNN lie by omission. Infotainment vs. Reporting.

14. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, everyone is chasing clicks. But to be fair to the Chicks, they provided opinion, not a news story. They simply were pointing out bias, not breaking a news story. That is their gig just like many others on both the R and L.

He did, but they tried to change the context, or at least the appearance of what actually happened for a political purpose. And that is why their trust ratings are chasing Congresses.

Yes FoxNews covered that like CNN covered Quayle's "potatoe" fiasco.

I would think most of America would say CNN and PMSNBC* are mainstream.

* Can't take credit for this, it is an old Limbaughism.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I didn't say they weren't part of the mainstream media, I was disputing the idea that they are "the" mainstream media.

Again, the term tells us more about the person using it.

Fox News yammers on about ratings, but also plays with the idea that they're not mainstream, which makes no sense: if lots of people watch them, they're mainstream. If they're not mainstream, they can't be popular. They have to choose.

It's like arguing that Green Day is an underground punk band. They're just not, guys.

The larger point is that the newswires provided clear video, and most outlets covered the event lightly. But, you want to bash the mainstream media so badly you ignore the value of the Associated Press, because CNN screwed up—again.

And, this plays right into the hands of bong-water conservative "news" outlets that want to guide their audience to the idea that only they can provide "truth." Basically, a useful lie for any effective cult.

Oh lord, I should have known.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Hey let's make a huge deal out of feeding fish to distract from the giant tax cuts to the rich and the daily mass shootings.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I've mentioned before that I'm not allowed to watch CNN at home because I'll get into a voluminous, furious yelling session with the television. It's incredibly frustrating to watch CNN, once a home for in-depth, thoughtful journalism, pick up the stupid Fox News model and run headlong into a wall.

Moreover, it's frustrating because myself and a couple dozen of my friends and colleagues spend a lot of time doing really good, hard-hitting journalism—not me, I'm a hack—and most focus on the dips and nitwits that are running CNN into the ground.

It's like being part of a baseball team where most of the batters are hitting .925, but there's three jackasses who just bunt. All the time.

And, the crowd just wants to talk about them, and say that the Mainstream Media "lol suxxors."
    Front Page of today's NYT:[​IMG]

Front page of today's WaPo.

And, front pages of dozens of other newspapers.

18. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean the giant tax cuts for rich with the addition of the 46% bracket?

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

That fact you believe this is a bracket speaks to how little you understand the proposed tax plan.

No, I mean the fact that households making between 480,000 and 1,000,000 get a cut from 39.6% to 35%, not to mention the huge wealth transfer to corporations.

But yea, keep bringing up the tiny 6% surcharge on $200k of income above $1,000,000, which is estimated to bring in a whole $50billion over 10 years, a drop in the bucket compared to the $1.5trillion the tax plan costs.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

The fact that any reputable news source, or supposedly reputable news source, would spend any time on this is why we don’t trust them.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

How about if Trump spent more time on policy/outcomes than attacking people, watching cable news and playing golf?
    That's the key here - they now have the unedited video up. But Trump and his press secretary lie constantly and don't ever apologize or correct themselves. And chief of staff Kelly told a completely false story about Congresswoman Wilson - as proved by the video of her speech at the dedication of the FBI building - and he has yet to admit he was wrong and apologize.

A perfect example of why we don't trust anyone connected with Trump.

23. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"PMSNBC." Yeah, that is indeed an old Limbaugh...uh, can't really call it a joke, 'cause it's so lame.

Chicks on the Right, on the other hand...the very name rings with reportorial gravitas, suggestive of advanced degrees from the Columbia School of Journalism, as well as multiple Pulitzer prizes.

BTW, CNN will never be able to wrest the title of Most Untrusted Name in News from Fox "News". I suspect only Sinclair or Breitbart would be capable of that.

It's too bad that CNN reported it this way and other media followed their lead, because they didn't need to. Trump is a classless imbecile, and he proves it pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

This is not something CNN should be proud of. But still, you know...hey, look over here! CNN is doing something wrong! Don't look over there, where Fox et al. are doing far worse, far more frequently.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I didn’t get why this story was news even when people believed it was real news.